Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
As our Accounts Payable Specialist, you will report directly to the Accounting Manager and will collaborate with employees across every functional area of the organization as well as the company’s vendors. We are a startup company that is moving rapidly to build a one-of-a-kind prototype fusion energy device, and this requires a heavy purchasing volume with an efficient and diligent accounts payable function to accomplish. We’re looking for someone who can effectively execute the day-to-day of accounts payable while helping us grow and optimize our processes, ERP system, and controls in an exciting and quickly evolving workplace.
This team member will:
- Execute accounts payable function in a high-volume and dynamic working environment (entering, processing, and paying invoices)
- Maintain detailed and accurate electronic records to support accounts payable transactions for compliance and annual audit
- Coordinate in a prompt and professional manner with procurement, receiving, and external suppliers to facilitate the prompt resolution of outstanding transactions, invoice holds, and payment issues.
- Monitor payment process ensuring appropriate approval authority, general ledger coding, and compliance with company internal controls, policies and procedures
- Assist with month-end accounting close and reconciliations
- Facilitate company credit card program, ensure compliance with approval and transaction support policies, and reconcile to credit card statements
- Participate in the optimization of our end-to-end accounts payable workflow in our ERP, Odoo, and enhancement of related internal controls and process documentation
- Prepare and distribute 1099s to appropriate vendors and file with IRS
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Economics or similar field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years Accounts Payable experience is required in a paperless workflow environment
- Experience working in companies with heavy manufacturing and project driven environment
- Experience with ERP systems such as Odoo (preferred)
- Exposure to accounting close environment, including preparation of reconciliations and coordinating with annual audit (preferred)
- Past work in an organization funded by government grants or contracts
- Experience with end-to-end Accounts Payable process in a manufacturing environment (preferred)
- Experience and can thrive in a high growth startup environment
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Strong attention to detail and confidentiality
- A bit of a nitpicker about accurate recordkeeping
- A strong communicator (particularly written communication), with a service-oriented mindset
- Ability to keep organized and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-paced, startup company environment
- Ability to work and manage time independently, as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call on a rare basis
- This role can be performed on a partially remote basis, but this individual will be required to be able to go on-site regularly to process mail and make payment runs
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.