Eastern Mennonite University is a private Mennonite liberal arts university in Harrisonburg, Virginia known for academic excellence and affordability with a focus on service, social justice, and global engagement. With more than 2000 students studying at our main campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia; at our Lancaster, Pennsylvania site; and online, EMU offers rigorous academic study at the undergraduate, graduate and seminary level.
EMU encourages students, faculty and staff to live their faith and values through service to others, peacemaking, cross-cultural engagement and sustainability. EMU also offers our employees the opportunity to embrace the educational experience for themselves and their dependents through tuition discounts, a university benefit.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, EMU is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who would deepen the diversity of the University.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant Effective Date: *July 1, 2022
Department: Presidents Office Schedule: Regular, 12 mo., FT, M-F
Supervisor: Executive Advisor to the President IPEDS Classification: 43
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt CUPA: 514000
The Administrative Assistant for the Administrative Suite facilitates the efficient operation of the Administrative Suite by performing a variety of clerical and administrative tasks.
- Serves at the receptionist for the Administrative Suite.
- Create a welcoming and professional environment while assisting student, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Manages the Universitys main phone line, directing calls to the appropriate office and providing information as requested.
- Manage email communication on behalf of the Presidents Office.
- Prepare the Administrative Suite daily by unlocking and locking suite doors, collecting and distributing mail, and maintaining a clean and professional appearance of the suite.
- Assists with project and event planning, and large university events as needed, such as Commencement and Homecoming.
- Maintains electronic and paper filing systems as assigned.
- Enters data into databases.
- Process invoices and credit card statements.
- Communicate life events for faculty and staff and order flowers and sends gifts on behalf of the Presidents Office.
- Schedules and handles details for multiple recurring meetings/events.
- Prepare agendas and schedules for meetings.
- Records and distributes minutes or other records for meetings.
- Maintains office supplies and coordinates maintenance of office equipment.
- Provides administrative and logistic support for Board of Trustee meetings.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Ability to comprehend complex information in order to create queries, prepares reports, correspondence, coordinate information both manually and on the computer.
- Demonstrated administrative proficiency and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize and maintain computerized systems.
- Attention to detail for accurately preparing and maintaining accurate reports.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and materials.
- Ability to understand instructions for interpreting policies and best practices.
- Good memory skills for recalling dates, people, events, and records in order to retrieve information for reports and files.
- Ability to have a professional and neat appearance.
- Ability to set goals, prioritize and organize job tasks and workload in order to meet deadlines, ability to complete work in a timely manner and communicate progress routinely with the Executive Advisor to the President.
- Ability to use a PC and software such as, Windows, Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook), and Google Suite.
- Ability to operate commonly used office equipment such as a copy machine, fax, phone, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with a wide variety of constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively and professionally with all constituencies of a diverse community.
- Ability to interpret and analyze information for effective decision making.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced high producing environment.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours in addition to regularly scheduled hours.
Education and Experience: _*
Associates degree, and a minimum of 3 years of office management experience, or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. Bachelors degree preferred. HigherEd experience is preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands and fingers to handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee must occasionally travel to meetings and conferences off campus, which may include some overnight travel.
Supervisory Responsibilities: _*
May assist in supervising student staff members.
Job Type: Full-time