Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the
GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
- Maintains safe storage, handling and use of commercial grade explosives as directed or delegated by the Lead Blaster. Provides assistance/advice to NSF-sponsored scientific project personnel using explosives during their field investigations.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining the explosives cache at McMurdo Station and other US stations and camps. Ensures that the caches are a safe distance from the stations and camps, are properly marked and secured, and that explosives are stored in accordance with applicable commercial regulations.
- Assists in performing inspections of stored explosives according to manufactures' recommendations and government regulations to ensure that degradation does not occur and that expiration dates are observed. Disposes of dated explosives in accordance with appropriate procedures/regulations.
- Under the direction of the Blaster, Lead measures, places, wires and detonates explosives in accordance with relevant technical/safety instructions and necessary station/camp field safety procedures. Under certain circumstances may be involved in blast design.
- Estimate and perform cost analysis of Drill and Blast projects
- Complete blasting operations IAW OPS-SOP-0141 McMurdo Station Blasting Procedures
- When required, provides advice/assistance to scientific parties concerning appropriate explosives types/quantities for geophysical or other investigations. Also provides assistance in the field with the storage, transportation, and use of explosives.
- Responsible for the safe and technically proficient operation of light equipment such as articulating loaders, backhoes, tele-handlers, tracked agricultural tractors, dump-trucks, wheeled fork-lifts, snow moving and grooming equipment, etc.
- Operates equipment as required, including but not limited to
the following activities in both dirt and snow:
Movement, stock-piling, and loading of aggregate, snow plowing, snow removal, loading/unloading of trailers, disabled vehicle recovery, loading/unloading of shipping containers, loading/unloading and general movement of palletized and non-palletized materials and equipment.
- Performs daily equipment checks to ensure all equipment is properly maintained and in safe operating condition. Notates any repair or maintenance needs on the daily check list and notifies Foreman of these items daily. Checks all fluids and immediately notifies the Vehicle Maintenance Facility of any deficiencies and takes care of them prior to operation.
- Performs daily safety inspection per the manufacturers daily check list and performs minor maintenance as required prior to operation of any equipment.
- Identify and create work orders for general maintenance needs according to manufacturer recommendations or as directed by the Vehicle Maintenance Facility and Fleet Operations leadership.
- Tracks equipment hours daily and notifies fleet operations office foreman any time equipment is within 50 hours of its PM due hours.
- Performs general duties as required in support of Fleet Operations and ASC Operations Division metrics.
- Supports the achievement of ASC metrics, whether metrics are directly or indirectly affected by this position’s work activities.
- Complies with all ASC Environmental Health & Safety and Quality Assurance requirements and goals.
- Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate legal documentation.
- Works to achieve ASC goals and contractual commitments.
- Performs physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of tall vehicles and heavy equipment, crawling as needed, working outdoors in extreme cold, and walking long distances daily.
- Snow shoveling, ice-chipping, and other forms of manual labor required due to location of position.
- Implements and maintains a safe workplace program and ensures that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Read and understand the manufacturers operating manual for each piece of equipment prior to operation of that equipment.
- Accurately record time worked and equipment hours used daily in Maximo and Deltek.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school graduate or equivalent is required.
- Valid Driver's license required. Class A or B CDL preferred.
- Evidence of previous license and/or certification preferred with no recertification restrictions. Four years explosives handling experience in construction related blasting is required.
- Experience with permafrost and snow blasting conditions and other explosives handling/use in cold weather/polar regions is preferred.
- Prior cold-climate equipment operations preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office preferred.
- General knowledge and understanding of project schedules preferred.
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
- Must successfully complete the physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- US citizenship or US Permanent Resident Status is
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring
practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United
States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation,
marital status, family structure, medical condition including
genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental
or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the
job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or
any other protected category under federal, state, or local
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement