PN#25803 ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) – Operations & Maintenance, Drinking Water Facilities
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Under the direction of the Senior Assistant Director for Drinking Water Operations Branch, this position will oversee the day to day operations and maintenance of Surface Water and Groundwater Facilities. In addition, this position will be responsible for identifying technological improvements to facilities thereby making DWO more resilient to natural disasters and other emergencies. The position will oversee the following duties:
- Surface Water Operations and Maintenance
- Southeast Water Purification Plant (SEWPP) – Approximately 200 MGD
- Northeast Purification Plant (NEWPP) – Approximately 80 MGD pre-expansion, approximately 400 MGD post expansion
- East Water Purification Plant (EWPP) – Approximately 360 MGD
- Ground Water Operations and Maintenance – Approximately 220 MGD
- 44 Plants (including 7 major re-pump stations)
- Approximately 110 Wells
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) for both Surface Water and Groundwater operations
- Operational Liaison to NEWPP Expansion Project
- Operating and CIP Budget
- Staff development and mentoring
- Liaison to external and internal COH Departments
WORKING CONDITIONS: The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
This is a Houston Public Works Department position at the Tier I Level.EDUCATIONAL:
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.
Seven (7) years of administrative experience are required, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity. A Master’s degree may be substituted for two years of experience.Preference will be given to applicants that possess:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Texas. A specific branch of engineering (such as civil, mechanical, structural, etc.) may be required
- Requires graduation from an approved curriculum in engineering by the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers with satisfactory standing;
OR Requires graduation from an engineering or related science curriculum at a recognized institution of higher education, other than a curriculum approved by the Board, and passage of the eight (8) hour fundamentals of engineering examination prescribed by the Board.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in managing similar size and type utility. An ideal candidate would have a TCEQ water license of a level A
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6**SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 32
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: [Link available when viewing the job].
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: [Link available when viewing the job] or call [Phone number shown when applying].
If you need special services or accommodations, call [Phone number shown when applying]. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call [Phone number shown when applying].
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.