The School Nurse is a registered, professional nurse who serves as the leader in the school community to oversee school health policies and programs. The School Nurse provides expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and promotion of health education. The School Nurse uses knowledge and judgment in providing health care to students and staff, performs health screenings and coordinates referrals to healthcare providers. The School Nurse serves as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and healthcare providers to advocate for health care and a healthy school environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Establishes and maintains a comprehensive school health program.
- Collects information about the health and developmental status of students.
- Develops nursing care plans with specific goals and interventions delineating school nursing action unique to student’s needs.
- Maintains nursing care that promotes, maintains, or restores health and prevents illness.
- Documentation of nursing care via computer program.
- Gathering statistics for district and state records.
- Ensures compliance with Arizona State Immunization requirements for all students throughout the school year.
- Participates in the Medicaid in Public Schools (MIPS) program as defined by district policies.
- Conducts annual vision and hearing screening and referral as mandated by the Arizona Department of Health Services.
- Serves as Employee Health Nurse for staff injuries and illness.
- Collaborates with other health care professionals both in the school district as well as outside of the school district.
- Assists students, families and groups to achieve optimal levels of wellness through health education.
- Assess, plan and implement school health services in collaboration with other school/district staff.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: (positions in this class typically require):
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred
- Arizona School Nurse Certification or National School Nurse Certification preferred.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: (positions in this class typically require):
- Current Arizona State Registered Nurse License.
- Current CPR Certification
- Valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: (position requirements at entry):
- Follows School Nurse policies and practice as dictated by state and district guidelines.
- Applies appropriate nursing theory as basis for decision making in school nursing practice.
- Knowledge of federal and state mandates relating to School Health Services/Practices.
- Physical requirements may require lifting, assisted lifting/moving school age children. Walking , stooping, bending, reaching, lifting, twisting, standing and sitting for extended periods will be required as a normal part of the job.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, finger dexterity, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Return To Work Retirees will have an hourly rate approximately 9% lower than listed below without falling below minimum wage.