Location: CA - Concord - Concord - 3322
JobLocation: Concord, California 94520
JobSummary: Barnes & Noble has a special place in the community, and this holds true whether you shop in our bookstores or in our Cafés. Booksellers are the heart of our stores who help make each store special and uniquely tailored to the customers who shop there. They are avid readers who love to share their knowledge of books with others. Barnes & Noble provides booklovers with this first step to a wonderful career, and we have plenty of opportunities for you to grow with us. If you are passionate about books, then this could be the perfect position for you.
To be a great bookseller, you provide excellent customer service which is friendly, genuine and professional, and you always put the customers first ahead of everything and anything else. You make the shopping experience engaging and interactive by enthusiastically sharing your knowledge whether face to face or over the phone, helping a customer choose a new book, or a special gift. A bookseller creates enticing displays which are neat, tidy, and vibrant to the customer. Your passion for bookselling and willingness to help, ensures your customers look forward to coming into your store. From creating inspiring displays to helping at our special events, there is always an opportunity to demonstrate initiative and your passion for books and people.
- Create a welcoming environment for customers where you engage with them and share your love and knowledge of books and make relevant recommendations.
- Ensure a vibrant bookstore through the flawless execution of bookstore basics, showing a commitment to presentation, commerciality, section detail, localization and sense of theater.
- Leverage key campaigns such as Our Monthly Picks, preorders, etc., to hand sell and engage in conversation with every customer.
- Educate yourself continuously on books and the industry, supporting the store with this knowledge to give customers a great experience when they visit and shop.
- Identify key titles and communicate with your store team on opportunities to tailor the merchandise selection to reflect the community.
- Keep the store neat and tidy, creating displays and ensuring the bookstore is always shoppable and inviting.
- Help with events and community outreach.
- Protect company assets by adhering to all processes in controlling shrink, expense and payroll.
- Recognize and offer to help both customers and employees with urgency and care.
- Model expected behaviors to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Work on the selling floor, which requires physical activity (i.e., prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, climbing), and Café when needed.
- Passionate reader and knowledgeable about books.
- Positive and can-do attitude.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Energized by working in an ever-changing environment.
- Listen to people and enjoy solving problems.
- Can clearly and respectfully communicate and express oneself.
- Treat customers as the first priority at all times.
- Grow knowledge of books, the industry and the market.
- Enjoy making recommendations and engaging with others.
- Exhibit and demonstrate initiative.
- Support company goals and initiatives and is a team player.
- Show respect and kindness to fellow booksellers and customers.
- Accept responsibility and execute all assignments correctly and with care.
- Accept coaching and feedback from others openly.
EeoStatement: Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.