We are energetic, cooperative, and committed employees who enjoy helping others through exceptional customer service and who share a love for good, healthful food. The East End Food Co-op is a growing business that operates in a diverse, fast-paced retail environment. We serve our community 7 days a week, 362 days a year (we are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day).
People who work at the East End Food Co-op:
- Are team players: cooperative, loyal, and committed to the co-op’s success.
- Work hard and adapt to changing needs: are flexible, efficient, and maintain a quick pace.
- Act with integrity: are accountable, dependable, trustworthy, and honest.
- Have a positive attitude: exude kindness to others and embrace diversity.
- Provide excellent customer service: are helpful, friendly, and patient, even in stressful situations.
- Care about good food: the ingredients, growing practices, and the best ways to prepare and eat it.
If you are prepared to make a serious commitment to our organization and have the skills, talent, and characteristics we are looking for, please tell us more about yourself through our online application.
- Competitive Wages: We are comparable to other grocers in our area and starting wages for all positions are well over minimum wage.
- Discounts: All employees receive a 20% discount on purchases, as well as an additional discount on special orders.
- Paid time off: We offer all our staff, both part-time and full-time employees, easy-to-manage paid time off.
- Paid holiday benefits: In addition to paid time off, employees are paid for holidays when the co-op is closed.
- Healthcare: Each full time employee who successfully completes a 60-day trial period is eligible to sign up for a generous and comprehensive health/dental/vision plan. The Co-op pays 80% of the monthly premium, 85% of the deductible and reimburses up to $250 for co-payments.
- Short-term disability: This benefit is fully funded by the Co-op for all employees who have successfully completed a 60 day trial period.
- Retirement Plan: All employees are eligible to participate in the Co-op’s retirement plan after earning $5,000 within a calendar year. The Co-op matches the employee’s contribution, dollar for dollar, up to 3% of an employee’s gross wages.
East End Food Co-op’s COVID-19 Response
Customer and employee safety is our highest priority as we manage this public health crisis. We have taken the following steps to support our staff and community:
- Increased cleaning of high touch surfaces
- Plexiglass shields at check out lanes and beverage counter
- Reminders for social distancing are posted throughout the store
- PPE provided for all staff (gloves, masks, face shields)
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout the store
The purpose of this position is to be approachable, engaging, and knowledgeable while assisting customers. To check out customer purchases and meet objectives for consistency and accuracy. To provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service.
Brief description of job responsibilities:
- Proactively greet customers by smiling and making eye contact with them.
- Determine membership status of customer.
- Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately.
- Accurately collect payment and count change back to customer.
- Bag customer purchases as needed and ask customers if they need assistance.
- Read general flyers and do daily produce walks to stay updated with products, prices, sales, and changes.
- Refer unresolved questions, problems and feedback to Customer Service Desk, supervisor/manager or other appropriate staff.
- Maintain register and bagging supplies.
- Explain benefits and privileges of membership program.
- Inform customers of specials, community donation programs, membership meetings or other upcoming events.
- Maintain Front End checklist area and equipment in clean, orderly condition.
- Complete daily cashier checklist.
- Provide additional support and be proactive in seeking out or asking for tasks to be completed that day.
- Alert supervisor/manager of suspicious behaviors, disorderly customers or other emergencies.
- Must enjoy interacting with and serving the public.
- Must have a friendly and outgoing personality and a positive attitude.
- Good communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and stay calm.
- The ability to learn the computer Point of Sale system on the register.
- The ability to be reliable for regular scheduled shift work.
- Willingness to work weekends and holidays.
- Organized and methodical in action.
- General mobility requirements include the ability to: stand or sit for several hours at a time; lift up to 25 lbs.; twist, turn, squat, and bend; do repetitive motions.**