This Civil Engineering Group Manager postition with a focus on roadway design and active transportation earns a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, a health savings account (HSA), and a flexible spending account (FSA). We practice what we preach and ensure that our employees also have access to transportation by providing them with financial incentives to bike, walk, or use transit for a better quality of life.
About Toole Design
Toole Design is the leading engineering, planning, and landscape architecture firm specializing in multimodal transportation. Since our start in 2003 as a single office in Maryland, we have expanded throughout the United States and Canada. Our talented team of planners, landscape architects and engineers are committed to delivering quality work that meets the needs of all people, regardless of age, ability, race or gender. For almost two decades, we've been transforming the way people move and helping communities thrive. Ethics, empathy, and equity inspire and guide everything we do. Our success is built on collaborative partnerships with our clients and an approach that goes beyond conventional solutions. We have been named a "best firm to work for" and have one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
Every project our employees deliver directly and positively affects our communities. We are industry-leading experts, and we work hard to encourage a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
A Day in the Life of a Civil Engineering Group Manager
You are at the forefront of brainstorming creative solutions for challenging projects. You lead, support, and mentor an interdisciplinary team to deliver multimodal transportation infrastructure in a wide range of contexts from roadway reconstructions and streetscapes in highly urban settings to signature trail projects in suburban and rural areas that highlight and enhance the natural environment. You understand programs such as AutoCAD and MicroStation and can help guide the team to fulfil production work on your projects. You'll be at the table with clients and colleagues from a variety of disciplines, delivering projects from concept to construction; including stakeholder outreach and charrettes, developing feasibility studies and concept plans for innovative projects throughout the country.
You participate in business development pursuits in your home region as well as across our North American offices. Your job can sometimes be challenging, but you get to work with a close-knit team that is passionate about the work and the communities that you serve.
Qualifications of a Civil Engineering Group Manager:
- A Professional Engineering license in CA (other West Coast states a plus)
- A bachelor's or master's degree in civil engineering
- At least 10 years of engineering experience developing construction documents and/or public agency construction administration
- At least 3 years serving in a project and/or design management role
- A broad knowledge base in civil engineering, with specific experience in roadway grading, drainage design, geometric design, 3D modeling (Civil 3D and/or OpenRoads/Inroads) and design of accessible public spaces.
- General knowledge of project performance metrics and strategies for monitoring them
- Experience in preparing transportation and local agency permit documents.
- General experience leading multidisciplinary teams coordinating utility and right-of-way impacts and street lighting, traffic signal, and landscape/hardscape layout.
- Interest in multimodal and active transportation design
- Interest in managing staff
- Strong understanding of Computer Automated Design (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation)
- Experience managing engineering projects in California
You'll be great here if:
- You are very well organized with strong project management skills
- You have strong leadership skills and enjoy participating in multi-disciplinary teams
- You are passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable
- You enjoy producing high-quality work products and seeing your projects get built
- You enjoy managing projects and meeting client needs
- You have strong communication skills, whether written, verbal, or graphically
- You can build relationships, bring enthusiasm to exciting projects, and are detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- You are experienced at delivering high quality projects on time and on-budget
- You want to actively participate in the strategic planning for the success of the engineering practice for the Los Angeles office and the entire west coast region.
Work Schedule for a Civil Engineering Group Manager:
This full-time position typically works a flexible full-time schedule. We also provide employees with the flexibility and necessary equipment to work from home 2-3 days per week.
About our Los Angeles Team:
Our team is a dynamic mix of planners and engineers who strive to support each other and our communities. This is an opportunity to perform work you love alongside a fun group of people in the heart of the most dynamic transportation region in the nation. Southern California is poised to change significantly over the next decade, with transportation improvements at the forefront of its evolution. Whether it's preparing safety studies and design guidance, assisting local agencies preparing for the 2028 Olympics, or working on mobility-as-a-service technology, Toole Design is poised to help shape this future. You'll be joining a rapidly growing team in an exciting market and location.
Our staff enjoy bicycling or riding the bus to work and will happily join you on a post-work summit in Elysian Park to take in the Greater Los Angeles environs. You will experience a company culture that is rooted in family, fun, and creative thinking. Strong values, flexibility, and exceptional quality work are just a few of the characteristics we hold in high regard!
Ready to Join our Los Angeles Team?
We understand your time is valuable, so we have a quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this Civil Engineering Group Manager position, please fill out our application by clicking on the link on this page.
At Toole Design, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We encourage those from underrepresented communities - women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between - to apply. Even if you don't think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
We're proud that about half of our managers are women and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. Toole Design is a woman-owned business and an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer).
For more information about Toole Design, visit our website, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, or like us on Facebook.