Energy Markets Analyst
at 8minute Solar Energy (View all jobs)
Remote, United States
ABOUT 8MINUTE SOLAR ENERGY
As a record-breaking, unrivaled technology leader, 8minute Solar Energy (8minute) is championing the clean energy transition in the United States and shaping the future of energy through its next generation of smart solar power plants. Since its founding in 2009, 8minute has successfully put 2 GW of solar projects in operation and currently has over 18 GW of solar and 24 GWh of energy storage projects under development. By prioritizing technology and engineering innovation, 8minute’s best-in-class team has continued to set new industry records: developing the largest solar plant in the nation starting in 2011, delivering the first operational solar plant in the U.S. to beat fossil fuel prices in 2016, and securing a deal to deliver solar with storage at record-low prices in 2019. Now one of the largest solar developers in the country with an established track record of delivering above-market profitability, 8minute’s relentless pursuit of smart energy generation is unlocking growth and expanding access to affordable and reliable clean energy. For more information, please visit www.8minute.com, and follow 8minute on Twitter and LinkedIn.
About the Position:
Our Commercial team is looking for an Energy Markets Analyst to join our experienced team with the main objective of conducting long term revenue modelling and shorter-term bid strategy for solar, solar + storage, and stand-alone storage resources. The role requires knowledge of energy trading and RTO/ISO market participation rules. This position will support 8minute Solar Energy’s development of utility scale solar and battery storage projects. This person will also track and model market fundamentals and may participate in working group meetings in the CAISO and ERCOT.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
- Work with consultants for price forecasts with knowledge of California, Texas and/or Southwest renewable energy policies, load growth, fuel prices, etc.
- Operate and improve merchant revenue analysis models for utility-scale solar, solar + storage, and standalone storage projects
- Assess risks and develop strategy proposals to larger team regarding market dispatch
- Support transmission congestion analysis for utility-scale solar and storage projects including basis and curtailment simulations
- Perform market simulations with licensed dispatch models or using external consultants in support of development, origination, and finance
- Present input assumptions and results of revenue studies to internal and external audiences
- Participate in CAISO, ERCOT and/or other ISO/RTO stakeholder meetings as needed to understand rule changes and influence new rules in stakeholder processes
- BS in STEM or Economics
- 1+ years in battery storage or energy trading within an organized Electricity or Commodity market
- Experience with solar + storage price-taker revenue modeling
- Experience with production cost modeling is a plus
- Experience in project development, origination or project finance is a plus
8minute Solar Energy offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package, including 401(k) and fully paid medical and dental benefits and unlimited PTO. We are an equal opportunity employer.