Sensei is here to guide you towards greater wellbeing. Founded by Dr. David Agus and Larry Ellison, our ecosystem of products and experiences is designed with one intention: to empower you to grow well. What guides us is a belief that knowledge is the most incredible tool in health and that technology allows us to unlock deeper insights.
Everything we do is evidence-led, radically transparent, always enriching.
You can read our story here or see some recent press: Forbes, Condé Nast Traveler
Reporting to: Retreat Director
The Sensei Guide and Sports Performance provides coordinating evidenced-based programming in areas organized around Movement, Rest and Nourish (the "Sensei Way") categories that includes guest-facing fitness/health coaching, diagnostics, and recommendations to support the intentions and healthier living objectives of the Sensei guest. This position will report to the Retreat Director and coordinate guest data and relevant science with other Guides who possess knowledge in fitness, nutrition, and life skills, that form the underpinning of the Sensei Way. This position will also connect with on-property golf and tennis professionals and introduce and integrate certain sports-oriented programming, sports lessons, technology, diagnostics, and performance feedback to utilize the fun of playing a sport to apply the Guides general wellness recommendations to the Sensei guest, in a seamless manner with other professionals. He or she will work with Sensei technology and other diagnostics equipment to provide guest-facing wellness lifestyle coaching, program coordination, and fitness diagnostics (G2) as well as provide one-on-one fitness/movement training and lecture on approved topics around exercise movement and sports performance. A Guide must also be familiar with the other classes. programs and body treatments available to a guest to help coordinate a full and enjoyable leisure travel experience.
This expanded position offers an exciting opportunity to work in conjunction with tennis and golf professionals, as well as nutritionists, mindfulness coaches, spa and wellness practitioners in a luxury resort setting, while leveraging evidenced-based content and technology deliver the best practices in exercise physiology and sports performance. At Sensei, we balance purpose with play. Guests enjoy health coaching, 1:1 nutrition, fitness, meditation and mindset sessions, body treatments, educational lectures and a variety of outdoor activities – all designed to expand awareness and connection.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of performance metrics and how to tie data back to golf/tennis performance and overall health and movement to encourage positive behavior change. They are action-oriented, tech savvy and thrive in a fast-paced environment. They enjoy building solid working relationships with peers and cross functional teams. They have a proven record of accomplishment in the Human Performance space.
- Serve as expert in the field of exercise physiology and the movement sciences.
- Function as a Sensei Guide to work with guests to understand their health and wellness data and incorporate this personalized knowledge to support their healthier lifestyle choices.
- Conduct 1:1 training and diagnostic sessions to educate, motivate and inspire the adoption of healthy movement practices.
- Create educational content and lead lectures and workshops.
- Create and lead corporate programs to support team wellness and synergy
- Facilitate the end-to-end guest experience, from arrival to departure and beyond.
- Support set up of all equipment and its software (Korr, Hawkins, Seca, etc) alongside IT
- Manage on property assessment space
- Train guides and practitioners on assessment space, equipment and protocols
- Be the connective tissue between Sensei Guides/Practitioners & our Tennis and Golf Professionals Train Golf/Tennis professionals on guest experience and how to leverage Sensei technology and biofeedback to support guest experience
- Provide education and insight to our Golf and Tennis professionals so they better understand The Sensei Way & Guest Experience
- Support Programming staff (Program Development Manager, Future Program Coordinator) with the delivery of additional Golf/Tennis programming alongside Tennis/Golf Professionals.
- Ensure confidentiality, ethics and client trust is protected at all times.
- Serve as an ambassador of Sensei for guests, partners and media
- Ensure all guest requests are communicated and completed
- Performs additional related duties as requested by a manager at any time.
- Be familiar with the existing and emerging health and safety protocols associated with COVID-19 and how such events have impacted our business, guests, and employee.
- Master's degree or PHD from an accredited college or university in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Physical Therapy, Human Performance or a related field
- Understanding of Human Performance and what drives peak performance in Golf and Tennis
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with athletes and/or within the retreat wellness setting
- Ability to work collegially with other members of the Sensei staff to integrate various data and guest engagement points to create a healthier living gameplan.
- Ability to listen and be in-service to our guests while aggregating and articulating data in a manner that educates and empowers them.
- Work in a manner to enhance the guest experience, allowing them to discover their greater wellbeing, as well as promote Sensei's mission to guide the world towards greater wellbeing.
- Highly organized and able to prioritize while assessing the bigger picture
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills- able to receive feedback and adapt
- Ability to work with evidenced-based science, fitness data, technology (including wearables, fitness testing equipment and biomarkers) and other on-site practitioners to develop a comprehensive incremental approach to establishing or enhancing a healthier lifestyle.
- Candidates must have valid work authorization for the U.S.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays
- Friendly demeanor, great smile, energetic, calm and empathetic
- Able to make sound decisions when in a stressful situation
- Organized and able to prioritize
- Must be able to operate equipment, including: an iPad, computer, hand radio, and be able to text message.
- Ability to climb stairs, bend, stretch, reach above shoulders, kneel, twist, and grip items.
- Responsible to set up class equipment and at the end of class, clean equipment, yoga mats and put away equipment.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time, at least 10,000 steps a shift, up and down hill.
- Work outside in varied weather types.
- Ability to push and pull equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds properly, carry backpacks, over distance during a whole shift.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in the fields of: Golf, Tennis, Spa, Nutrition, Fitness, Movement, Physical Therapy or Psychology
- Passion for continuing education, professional development and personal growth
- Proficient in Apple iOS, Office 365, and/or reservation systems
- Efficient time management
- Familiar with a hospitality environment
- Demonstrates characteristics of leadership, professionalism, service to others
- Experience in hospitality and/or club environments as well as fast paced startup businesses
Traits We Value :
- Commitment to a healthier living environment and embracing the Sensei Way and philosophy espoused and science identified in Dr Agus' teachings and writings
- Collaborative mentality and the ability to recognize how to get things done as a team
- Self-confidence and composure to accept critique, process it, and apply the learnings to improve
- Resourceful and adaptable, understanding that a big idea can come from anywhere
- Open to learning, developing new skills and professional experiences
- Loves a good challenge
- Resourceful and adaptable
- A strong sense of curiosity
- Embraces feedback and constantly seeks to improve
- Collaborative and knows how to get things done as part of a team
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k and FSA plans
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex (including gender identity or expression; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, disability (including association or relationship with an individual with a disability), marital status, National Guard obligation, genetic test results, arrest and court records, reproductive health decision, domestic or sexual violence victim status, breastfeeding requirements, assignment of income for child support obligations, or credit history or report.