Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
Housing Attorney Fellow
AGENCY DESCRIPTION:Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, Lilly Endowment, and approximately 85 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law.
LOCATION:Fellowship opportunities are available across all of ILS’s eight offices: Bloomington, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Merrillville, New Albany, and South Bend. Not all of the hours worked require being in the office; some of the work can be completed remotely.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time attorney fellowship funded for eighteen (18) months with the possibility of permanent placement depending upon funding availability. The Housing Attorney Fellow will provide legal assistance to tenants in housing cases and perform other duties as assigned. The attorney will work under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
- Provide high quality legal representation in court proceedings.
- Provide high quality legal advice, limited service, and negotiation.
- Review applications for legal assistance to assess legal issues and needs.
- Collaborate with community partners and other agencies.
- Comply with all LSC and grant requirements and all ILS policies and procedures.
- Licensed to practice law in Indiana.
- Experience in small claims court is preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Dedicated to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
COMPENSATION:Starting salary is $53,668, with a range up to a maximum of $71,938 depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a flex benefit plan.
Apply online by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. For questions contact Karen Custer, HR Assistant, at [email protected]
The position will remain open until filled. Preference may be given to early applicants.