Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation is seeking a Department Human Resource Specialist. This position is the primary contact for staff, student and faculty associates and will provide human resources and administrative support. Under general supervision of the Director of Fiscal and Business Services, the incumbent will be responsible for performing a variety of daily payroll and human resources functions in a complex academic unit. These functions include but are not limited to maintaining and retention of unit personnel files; payroll management; staffing coordination; human resource compliance; internal controls; and other functions designated by unit administrator. The successful candidate must be skilled in maintaining effective working relationships among a diverse population, able to provide excellent customer service, skilled in handling confidential and sensitive information and work efficiently in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities. This position requires prior experience in Human Resources, knowledge of electronic data processing and applications as it applies to human resources. This position receives regular review of objectives by department administrator.
This position may be eligible for hybrid work after a training period. Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
Job FamilyHuman Resources
Department NameEdson Business Services
VP CodeVP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Scope of SearchOpen
Grant Funded PositionThis is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Salary Range$37,440 -$55,000 per year; DOE
- Coordinates hiring, on-boarding, and off-boarding for staff, students, and part-time faculty through BrassRing and PeopleSoft.
- Creates and modifies positions and account funding.
- Process a heavy volume of payroll transactions and activities for new and existing employees.
- Perform routine payroll reconciliations and investigate payroll discrepancies in coordination with payroll end dates.
- Manages Department Time Administrator (DTA) process for college to ensure accurate and timely recording for payroll processing.
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets used for payroll, hiring, and other processes.
- Provides input and feedback on human resource processes, procedures, internal controls and additional requests.
- Maintains retention of appropriate hard and electronic personnel and financial records based on University Office of Human Resources guidelines.
- May oversee student worker tasks.
- Participates in a variety of school, college, and university wide initiatives and meetings to represent unit interest in the area of human resources.
- Works closely with college administration, OHR and Financial Services to develop and implement activities to ensure adherence and compliance of college and university policies.
- Monitors HR inbox and other duties as assigned.
- Runs reports including dashboards, queries in Amazon Work Spaces and checks records to provide data and information used for decision making.
- Works closely with the unit financial administrator or financial specialist to review account expenditure requests and obtain expenditure approvals in accordance with established financial guidelines and policies.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two (2) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of basic human resource practices, regulations and standards.
- Knowledge of all applicable federal, state and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Knowledge of quality customer service standards, methods and practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in planning, analyzing and establishing priorities.
- Experience using human resources related software.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse (75%).
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%).
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (5%).
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
Department StatementThe Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation is distinguished as a model for excellence and inspiration in nursing and inter-professional practice, education, and research to advance knowledge and innovative practice models, and new solutions to optimize the health and well being of our diverse local, national and global communities.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification StatementASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check StatementThis position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU (Edson Business Services) will not be a sponsor for this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.