Job Location: Cripple Creek and Victor
Job Grade: NG
Employee Referral Amount: $0.00
- The Cripple Creek and Victor Mine Technical Services Team is responsible for functions including survey, ore control, mine planning, drill and blast and geotechnical engineering. As an intern you will have the opportunity to work with each of the technical services functions.
- Summer intern positions begin in May 2022 and conclude in August 2022. The exact dates are flexible depending on each student’s availability and our business need. Our internships are full-time paid positions (40 hours/week).
- This internship is based at our Cripple Creek and Victor Mine in Victor, CO
- There is ample opportunity for internal networking within our company.
- As an intern, you will be responsible for implementing specific Mine Technical Services projects, as well as supporting the day-to-day activities of the technical services department. The exact projects will be established according to your availability, interest, skills, and experience, in addition to the specific business needs.
Project topics depending on discipline might include:
- Drill and blast: Work with team to understand impacts of drill and blast on fragmentation and highwall safety
- Ore Control: Work with team to understand how pattern design, loading factors, and lithology and structure contribute to blast movement by mining area
- Mine Planning: work with team to schedule mining equipment and complete pit and/or dump design projects
- Geotechnical: Work with team to map highwalls and complete rockfall analysis
- General support to the geotechnical, mine planning, survey or ore control teams
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work; other work may also be assigned.
Training & Experience
- Undergraduate or Graduate students preferred, graduating in December 2022 or later – Mine Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Geology. We will consider other similar disciplines.
- Experience in mining and/or passion to learn about the hard-rock mining industry preferred.
- Strong organization, project and time management skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; comfort engaging with senior leaders and global teams.
- Strong research methods capability and writing skills.
- At least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent.
- Valid work authorization to work in the United States for this position.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the specified degree program in the fall 2021 semester.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- All interns are required to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen and background check.
With a strong focus on inclusion and diversity, we welcome all applicants who feel they are qualified for this role.
This position has multiple levels (which may range from Freshman to PhD level). The hourly rate offered for this overtime-eligible role will depend on the level, and the range of the hourly rate is $20.00(Freshman) – 36.00(PhD). The hourly rate is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The specific level and hourly rate that is offered to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The hourly rate offer will not be based on a candidate’s wage rate history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about wage rate history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.