Carpenter Technology Corporation (NYSE: CRS) is a recognized leader in high-performance specialty alloy-based materials and process solutions for critical applications in the aerospace, defense, transportation, energy, industrial, medical, and consumer electronics markets. Founded in 1889, Carpenter has evolved to become a pioneer in premium specialty alloys, including titanium, nickel, and cobalt, as well as alloys specifically engineered for additive manufacturing (AM) processes and soft magnetics applications. Carpenter recently expanded its AM capabilities to provide a complete “powder-to-part” solution to accelerate materials innovation, offer rapid prototyping, and streamline parts production.
TITLE OF POSITION: Lean Leader
LOCATION: Latrobe, PA
OVERVIEW: The Lean Leader is responsible for the deployment of the Carpenter Operating Model, which is based on the Toyota Production System (TPS). This position has the key responsibility for “Rules in Use” including standardized work, binary connections, continuous flow and root cause problem solving based on 5?Why methodology. Will generate a standards rich environment, visual factory concepts, provide daily management and problem solving supported by leader standard work along with GEMBA and overall systems and strategic thinking.
- Provide leadership in the development and hands-on practical application of Lean Enterprise tools and education
- Train and coach team members, ensuring standardization and compliance to methods and workshops or projects.
- Introduce and support the use of new tools in assigned areas
- Drive a culture of problem solving and be able to train and facilitate solving of simple and complex problems
- Train all levels of the organization in Lean methodology
- Act as a change agent leading continuous process improvement in manufacturing and transactional areas
- Serve as technical content Lean Expert—providing coaching/advice to peers and direct reports, facilitating teams to achieve continuous improvement goals, training others in use of quality and continuous improvement tools and techniques
- Provide leadership by challenging conventional thinking, establishing, and monitoring metrics and measurements, and building a workforce that applies and utilizes Lean tools and techniques
- Evaluate and recommend projects/programs providing opportunities for improvements in key measurement areas (Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost), to achieve expected results
- Manage multiple projects with dynamic shifting priorities and targets
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned
- BA/BS degree in Engineering, Project Management, or related field
- 10+ years in a manufacturing environment with a strong focus in Lean Manufacturing
- Proven knowledge of the quality tool kit including process management and Six Sigma
- Ability to drive continuous improvement with identifying and eliminating waste
- Strong analytical, mathematical, computer and basic business skills
- Ability to bring clarity and optimal solutions from abstract information
- Experience/Certification with Toyota Production Systems
- Extensive experience in an industrial manufacturing environment with LEAN Operating Model Deployment
- Proven ability to empower others to use their expertise to improve everyday business
- Strong communication, leadership, and interactive skills that that can work effectively across multiple cross functional boundaries
- Ability to be involved with continuous improvement problem solving tasks
- Open and candid communication style with a willingness to strongly challenge decision making processes prior to action
- Self-Starter who can creatively drive continuous improvement on their own initiative
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.