ASU, a leading innovator in higher education, is looking for a dynamic individual to join our team, providing support for the University’s Learning Experience Group. The LX group is a crucial enterprise-focused organization, supporting ASU efforts to deliver innovative learning projects, at scale, to all learners, and focused on ensuring greater inclusion and student success. Successful candidates will have demonstrative knowledge of technology trends and pedagogical practices in education and a passion for customer service. The Learning Design Associate will support current teaching and learning activities as well as contribute towards identifying, designing and enabling future learning approaches and technologies. ASU’s University Technology Office has over 500 employees, offering a variety of career paths in a high-energy working environment. The technology initiatives we’re engaged in are transformative and unprecedented in Higher Education. Consider taking the step and joining the Sun Devil family!
As with everyone in the UTO family, our intentional focus on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging as well as culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role. With an increased emphasis on authenticity, compassion, and inclusivity, this position strives to embody and advance our UTO Positive Core.
ASU offers a total compensation package that includes valuable employee benefits. Click here to explore options.
Job FamilyInstructional Design Tech
Department NameLX Design
VP CodeUNIV TECHNOLOGY OFFICE
Scope of SearchOpen
Grant Funded PositionThis is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Salary Range$38,063 - $54,000 per year; DOE
- Using instructional design theory and strategies, recommend effective and creative uses of ASU’s learning experience platforms, including the ASU digital backpack, to improve student outcomes in traditional, hybrid and digital learning environments.
- Develop and deliver face-to-face and online faculty training and workshop offerings, including self-help documents, online tutorials, and other multimedia materials, to assist faculty with the use of learning experience platforms.
- Utilize web page authoring, desktop publishing and presentation software to develop custom content.
- Provide technology support for online teaching and learning tools and services used by faculty, students, and staff.
- Facilitate conversational sessions with faculty around platform tools, pedagogy approaches, and roadmap strategies
- Research and evaluate emerging digital platform technologies, pedagogies, and practices and provide ongoing ideas, guidance, and recommendations to the University community.
- Implement evaluation procedures to assess the effectiveness of using technologies in teaching/learning experiences.
- Assume or coordinate other duties as assigned or directed.
- Take responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms - collaborating across our teams as well as participating in UTO/ASU events and programs. Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. Advances our UTO Affirmative Pledge.
Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field. One (1) year of experience providing educational technology development services, or formal or informal education. Or, any equivalent combination of experience or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of current and future trends in educational technologies
- Comprehensive understanding of instructional design principles, methods, and techniques for adult learning
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to diverse stakeholder groups: faculty, students, staff, and administrators
- Ability to accomplish tasks and projects with multiple and overlapping deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Facilitating presentations to audiences of differing sizes
- Online course evaluation and Quality Matters best practices and processes
- Learning management systems
- Problem-solving with the ability to apply strong critical and logical analysis to scenarios in the context of educational technology use
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Planning, analyzing and coordinating activities and establishing priorities
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Ability to model empathy, compassion and emotional intelligence
- Experience working in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Ability to help foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive
- Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment
- Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer; bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Regular review of completed tasks.
Department StatementThe University Technology Office (UTO) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Join the team that sparks human-centered innovation
UTO is a rapidly reconfigurable and entrepreneurial organization at ASU that prioritizes and executes to meet the needs of our community of learners, faculty, researchers and staff. Our work emphasizes autonomy, flexibility and distributed decision-making to leverage the strengths of individuals. Together, we embrace a culture that nurtures, engages and embraces diverse voices with a shared lens of positive community impact and expanded opportunities for collaboration.
Why join us?
Mission oriented. Everything we do is to advance ASU’s charter - measuring who we include and how they succeed. We are staunch champions of learner success and put people first.
Flexibility. Our hybrid work environment prioritizes personal autonomy and trust around how work gets done. Staff touch base in person a few times per week with freedom to decide how, when and where.
Culture forward. We embrace a Positive Core culture: Belonging, Relational, Authentic, Visionary and Empowered. The UTO fabric weaves together diversity, equity and inclusion applied in our daily work and interactions.
Scale of impact. Our work changes the world. With 180k+ learners, faculty, researchers and staff, working with UTO means you have the capacity to improve many lives and entire communities.
World-class, low cost education. Our professional development is built in! UTO encourages staff to seek additional certificates and degrees via ASU’s top ranked programs with major tuition breaks.
Exposure to industry giants. UTO partners with Amazon, Apple, Cox, Verizon, Salesforce, Alteryx and a diversity of technology companies to enhance our innovations and deepen their impact.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification StatementASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check StatementASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check StatementThis position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
- Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
- Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
- Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
- Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States.
- If you are an ASU internal applicant, please click on the ASU Employees link located on the Careers at ASU webpage to apply.
- ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
- Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.