- oThe primary purpose of this position is to maintain, repair, align/calibrate, and troubleshoot mechanical, electrical, and electronic equipment and instrumentation, as well as assist local and regional personnel in the development of safety procedures and policies for specific systems and facilities.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- oTroubleshoot, repair, maintain and calibrate equipment such as:
pumps and motors, mainline and manifold control valves, turbine and positive displacement meters, proving equipment, tank gauging equipment, pressure and temperature gauges and SCADA equipment, as well as the equipment that interfaces with SCADA.
- oMaintains, and repairs electrical equipment including but not limited to:
Valve actuators, medium voltage switch gear and substation equipment, motor circuit protectors, motor control centers, truck loading equipment and control systems, remote station control systems, pressure transmitters, tank level measurement systems, tank high level alarm systems, electronic and PLC based controllers, digital display equipment, lighting circuits, safety systems and devices including pressure and shutdown devices, teletype, SCADA transmission equipment as well as automated fire control systems.
- oMaintains records as required by Department of Transportation for designated equipment and devices.
- oMaintains maintenance and repair records for area equipment.
- oMust maintain accurate and timely CMV logs and documentation.
- oAssist in training of other technicians in all aspects of maintenance.
- oConsistently maintain and demonstrate a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- oSupports all regional projects and works with other station personnel when the need arises.
- oAssists with corporate engineered projects as requested including preoperational testing, startup and commissioning.
- oWorks with vendors and their technicians on new and repaired or upgraded equipment.
- oMay be asked to inspect and document contract work on company assets.
- oSupports company and contract inspectors on area and regional projects.
- oPerforms preventive and predictive maintenance on various terminal and mainline equipment as requested.
- oWill become familiar with Computer Based Maintenance Management System and functions.
- oMaintains a lubrication schedule on various terminal and mainline equipment.
- oActs as a “floating technician” to assist various locations as needed
- oPerforms other related duties as assigned.
- oHigh school diploma, Technical school degree or equivalent preferred.
Experience / specific Knowledge:
- oGrade level of job depends on prior experience as a skilled technician and industry related experience.
- oAble to read and understand electrical schematics and ladder diagrams, mechanical drawings, aerial strip maps and maintain as-built drawings for them.
- oRequires good communication skills, self-motivation and an assertive style.
- oAbility to be trained through both internal on the job training and external technical programs.
- oExperienced with installation, maintenance, and repair of refined petroleum products pipeline systems and equipment for station and terminal operations (experienced technicians).
- oKnowledge of occupational hazards and required safety precautions, DOT requirements including those related to calibration and maintenance records, safety inspections and reports.
Certification, licenses, registrations:
- oA satisfactory driving record as determined by the Company and a current, valid State driver’s license are mandatory. The ability to pass the Commercial Motor Vehicle physical is a requirement.
- oIf applicable to the work location, satisfactorily obtaining or already possessing a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card is a condition of employment. TWIC card is obtained by submitting an application, background check, and having fingerprints taken.
- oIf the employee is subject to license or certification requirements or training as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies or the Company, now or in the future, compliance is required under this job description.
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
- oStrong verbal and written communications skills are required. Must be able to read and comprehend written documents, instructions and directions, as well as be able to accurately pass on information and instructions to co-workers.
- oMust be accountable and take direction from Managers; keep required work schedules, which include regular and predictable job attendance; focus attention on details; follow work rules.
- oMust be able to pass Operator Qualification requirements (OQ)
- oBasic computer proficiency in Microsoft applications (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is necessary in order to interface with company communication systems.
- oMust be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision and/or direction.
- oWell-balanced interpersonal skills. Must be flexible and able to work effectively in a team environment and consistently maintain a professional and respectful demeanor/attitude with co-workers, clients, consultants, and representatives of various local, state and federal agencies.
- oIn order to meet the various maintenance and general operational requirements, a mechanical aptitude is necessary.
- oEmployee must be physically capable of completing and satisfying all training requirements as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies and/or Company Policy.
- oWork is performed outside in varying and sometimes extreme weather situations.
- oPerform physical labor in a variety of extreme climatic conditions, including walking, bending, stooping, climbing tanks, digging, lifting and general manual labor.
- oField activities may include walking to and amidst work and/or construction sites, climbing in and out of trenches, working around heavy equipment, negotiating rough terrain, areas of loose rock and working in confined spaces.
- oMust be able to climb tanks (averaging about 60 steps) safely and without assistance, including holding on to a handrail with one hand and carrying equipment (such as tank gauging tools) and/or tool bag in other hand.
- oJob requires visual acuity to see and work at a computer screen, read gauges and other measuring devices, as well as the ability to hear various alarms.
- oExtended periods of sitting may be required for administrative activities.
- oJob entails call-outs on a 24-hour emergency basis and an ability to work long hours, weekends, nights and holidays, when required.
- oMust carry a cell phone and/or pager and respond to calls/pages in a timely manner 24/7.
- oOccasional overnight travel required.
- oOvertime required and extended work hours in cases of emergencies.
- oMay be required to work alone (unsupervised).
- oMay be exposed to some refined oil products containing chemicals which may be related to certain types of illnesses or reproductive toxicity. Some emit vapors under certain conditions, are flammable and may be explosive under certain circumstances.
- oExposure to smells and vapor associated with refined petroleum products.
- oClimatic conditions are determined by location assignment and may include severe seasonal changes including both winter conditions with frequent snow or extreme summer heat and sun, depending upon geographic location.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities:
Above the minimum requirement; not required but advantageous in this position:
- oKnowledge and experience working with construction contractors is preferred.
- oExperience in pipeline inspection is preferred.
- oExperience with petroleum storage and dispensing operations is preferred.
- oPipeline hydraulics experience desired
- oBasic knowledge of cathodic protection.
- oKnowledge of piping, valves and pressures.
- oKnowledge of pipeline operations.
- oExperience with storage tank operations, including inspections, alarms and sampling.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As a federal contractor, Kinder Morgan must adhere to federal guidelines that require many of its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accordingly, all new hire employees must be vaccinated before they begin work. This requirement is subject to accommodations for religious and medical reasons under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and possible state and local laws.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.