Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.Ds.
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking an Associate for our Mechanical Engineering Practice in Phoenix, AZ. In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing a wide variety of mechanical and material failures in products ranging from consumer products to large mechanical systems. Specifically, you will be involved in testing and analysis of batteries used in consumer electronics, electric vehicles, and many other applications.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting an expansive internal client base that works collaboratively to solve complex, real-world problems associated with the application of batteries across multiple business sectors
- Leveraging state-of-the-art equipment and contributing to the development of custom investigation methods and tools in order to implement high-value solutions
- Managing a variety of complex, interdisciplinary projects relevant to new technology implementation, while ensuring adherence to timelines and budgets
- Working on exciting new challenges and conducting hands-on failure analyses
- Supporting laboratory testing of batteries including planning and execution of testing
- Operating and maintaining battery test equipment
- Conducting experimental testing, field inspections and engineering analyses
- Communicating and working effectively with other Exponent staff at all levels of the company
- Creating written reports and presentations relevant to risk management and dispute resolution decisions
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field with a focused thesis/coursework/project experience in solid mechanics, computational and experimental mechanics
- Experience conducting laboratory testing, or other similar hands-on experience
- Experience in performing finite element analysis using Abaqus or similar solvers
- Hands-on experience working on lithium-ion batteries in a laboratory setting is a plus
- Ability to work within project teams with a strong desire to contribute
- Potential for technical and project managerial leadership
- Ability to convey technical information to individuals in engineering, business, legal and related industries
- Willingness to work in new technical areas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity and inclusivity across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.