Job Title: Media Business Advisor
Start date: ASAP
Location: Remote with Field Travels
Duration: 6 months
Salary range: Negotiable
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging:
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About the Role:
Internews is implementing an activity to improve the business performance of independent news media in Sudan. In the course of the program’s implementation, Internews is looking for a qualified and motivated part-time Media Business Advisor to define and implement business and digital media strategies with three media outlets operating in Sudan.
The successful candidate will analyze, support, develop and mentor selected media outlets with the goal of strengthening their media businesses. This includes business strategy development, revenue generation, as well as audience analytics, digital optimization, and social media outreach.
The successful candidate will have experience in traditional and new media, both in the newsroom and business side. They should be data oriented, digital savvy, commercially minded, and fluent in Arabic and English language, both written and spoken.
The assignment is to be completed part-time, between June 1st and November 30th, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluate the business performance of the media outlets and provide consultation based on the identified needs, including the formulation of business strategies.
- Provide support in strengthening the media outlets’ governance and organizational structure.
- Support the media outlets in identifying their potential to grow revenues.
- Develop, maintain, and establish working relations with each media outlet to optimize their content, website, and social media, using various tools and approaches, including Google Analytics and the other digital analytics platforms across channels.
- Support and provide expertise to the media outlets to increase their online audience reach, engagement and loyalty in owned and borrowed channels.
- Create two e-learning modules (in Arabic and English) specifically for independent media via Internews’ Learning Management System, with topics around digital analytics.
- A thorough understanding of the media industry, especially in Sudan and surrounding region
- Relevant experience in media, media business, business development, marketing and/or sales
- Familiarity and competence with digital tools, including Google Analytics, Facebook Creator Studio, YouTube Studio, Twitter Analytics
- Knowledge on audio and visual content creation for digital use
- Fluency in Arabic and English, both written and spoken
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising staff.
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience.