Requisition ID # 116160
Job Category : Engineering / Science; Information Technology; Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Vacaville; Rocklin; Sacramento
The mission of the Operations Systems Group within the Electric Grid Operations Department is to provide comprehensive engineering solutions to improve transmission system reliability and enable future growth of the Electric Transmission Grid. In addition, the Group provides outstanding engineering support to Operations by resolving complex issues via implementation of state-of-the-art technology. This position is in the EMS (Energy Management System) Operations team within the Operations Systems group in Electric Grid Operations. The Operations Systems group provides technical support for Electric Grid Operations. EMS Operations provides operational, engineering, and project management support for the EMS platform as well as support for the technologies used by the Grid Control Centers.
The Operations Systems Engineer, Network Applications will report to the Supervisor, Operations Systems and be a member of the EMS Network Applications team. This group consists of EMS Engineers who provide operational support of tools utilized by Electric Grid Operations (EGO) and Transmission Operations Engineering (TOE). Coordinate with EMS major project leads. Participate in strategic planning and engineering analysis on EMS infrastructure. Work with program managers and partner with other departments (i.e. IT, System Automation) for their support in completing critical work, managing system performance and controlling costs.
- 3 years of experience in power system or control system engineering.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 3 years of work experience supporting advance power system such as Power Flow and State Estimation within the Bulk Electric System.
- Knowledge of the GE Grid Solutions/Alstom EMS
- Advanced level knowledge in EMS advanced applications (state estimation and contingency analysis), voltage stability analysis, transient stability analysis, Synchrophasor based analysis tools.
- Working proficiency with industry standard power flow analysis applications.
- Competitive candidates must have strong technical and analytical skills.
- Competitive candidates should demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to take initiative.
- Operational knowledge of the Electric Transmission System.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Supporting the real-time applications – state estimator, contingency analysis (with RAS/SPS modeled), voltage stability and transient stability. Ensure robust, high quality solutions by tuning the network model and correcting issues with real-time telemetry, models, etc.
- Design, develop and implement modification to EMS system models to reflect ongoing changes to the transmission, generation and SCADA systems
- Timely response to control center personnel for information or solution to power system application problems (Powerflow, State Estimation, Contingency Analysis)
- Support day-to-day maintenance activities for EMS
- Responsible for identifying and addressing gaps in EMS processes.
- Assist in the development and operationalization of procedures and ensure compliance with applicable NERC Standards.
- Provide support to EMS Operations including EMS On-Call duties as needed.
- Technical lead on projects involving multiple departments and overseeing project completion.