• Responsible for the planning, design oversight, execution and closeout of assigned engineering project within established budget and schedule. Responsible for acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members to deliver project according to plan. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assigned projects.
• Initiates and develops equipment and system designs. Takes equipment and systems from concept through to commissioning and testing.
• Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as chemical engineering systems including reaction vessels, filtration systems, ion-exchange skids, piping and vessel systems.
• May run experiments and tests to aid in the development of processing systems.
• May use computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform assignments.
• Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods to document compliance with project and code requirements, which may include mass and energy balances, pressure profiles, pipe, pump and vessel sizing.
• Generates and is fully conversant with Process Flow Diagrams, Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) and Process Data Sheets.
• Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes and design requirements.
• Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
• Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the Mechanical and Chemical Engineering disciplines.
• Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
• Interfaces with staff, within the team and supporting sub-contractors to ensure work is being completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
• Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
• Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
• Works to assigned schedules ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
• Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures and attends meetings as required. Provides supervision and leadership to members of the design team, commensurate with seniority.
• Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
• Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
• Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
• Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
• Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines.
• Works under close supervision.
• Does not typically exercise independent judgment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Effective communication skills
• Basic knowledge of Process Equipment design software and Microsoft Office
• Basic knowledge of functional discipline and its practical application
• Basic knowledge of industry codes and regulations
Physical/Mental Requirements and Working Conditions
• Ability to carry up to 10 pounds; handle and reach below shoulder
• Ability to use hands to accomplish tasks as assigned
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb and bend/stoop
• Ability to effectively communicate; pass audiogram in hearing conservation program as required by location
• Ability to see close and distance; basic colors/shades
• Ability to work inside an office, outside and in extreme temperatures
• Ability to work with moving objects/hazardous machines and on slippery/uneven walking surfaces
• Ability to work alone and work with others
• Ability to drive a vehicle and travel overnight; perform under deadline pressure
Minimum Qualifications and Years of Experience
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or related technical degree or equivalent
• None required
• Engineer-In-Training (EIT), with ability to gain Professional Engineering License preferred
• 2 years of experience