JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
This position is responsible for developing profitable new business as well as growing sales in existing assigned accounts to achieve sales goals in a specified geographical area for primarily independent and smaller group customers. The Independent Sales Representative also participates with the sales team to respond to customer needs, monitor accounts receivable and build strong customer relations while controlling expenses within budget guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned. A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
- Ensure all new and existing accounts have the following criteria or items in place in order to meet or exceed weekly sales-per-store and YTD budgeted sales:
- Meet McLane credit qualifications and accounts receivable guidelines according to NSF policy.
- Mutual understanding with assigned customers as to sales plans presented and any other financial considerations, such as incentive rebates or allowances.
- Maintains or exceeds current division gross profit, per stop standards.
- Accounts are sold through approved billing plans.
- Account does not require unusual high expenses to service with less than division operating income as a result.
- Accounts meet minimum order size requirements.
- Maintain current legally required state and municipal product licenses
- Follow-up on all A/R issues with the Controller and Independent Sales Manager and/or Market Director per the requirements set forth by the Finance Department.
- Evaluate and understand all competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, financials, technology, new initiatives and limitations within their defined territory.
- Evaluate customer YTD budgeted sales and weekly sales per store to maximize budgeted goals through the following activities:
- Conduct a weekly review of order frequency, order size and concentration of purchases.
- Review item selection versus industry/market/competition/season and make recommendations on item selection, plan-o-grams and promotional planning or distribution guidelines.
- Tour national convenience and drug outlets for potential new items or categories.
- Monitor and secure documented competitive wholesale pricing and services.
- Communicate on an agreed upon frequency with store owners through phone calls, e-mail, and onsite meetings.
- Sell new business concepts of McLane Company in assigned accounts that include: SMP-online, VTS, CVP, McLane technology solutions, McLane Kitchen and all McLane sales initiatives.
- Participate in divisional projects to include seasonal load change communications and other projects necessary to provide excellent communication and follow-up resulting in enhanced customer perception of McLane.
- Plan, schedule, coordinate, and participate in annual reset/re-tag of each store
- Monitor, maintain, and replace shelf tags as necessary during weekly store visits to include new and replacement items
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
A teammate in this position must:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred); or five years of relevant work experience in sales may substitute for the college education.
- Internal candidates must have a minimum experience with McLane Company of not less than 2 years.
- Be skilled in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Be able to work with and communicate with many different reporting level groups, to include McLane customers (store managers), drivers, customer service, and peers.
- Be able to travel as required, which may include overnight stays (varies by market area)
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be able to speak, read, write and understand the English language.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Be able to successfully pass an experience verification, drug screen, and criminal background check.
- Ability to understand the information and reports available to assist in managing assigned accounts, including Analysis and Reporting Tool, Customer and Load/Route Management, Divisional Item Inquiry, and Customer Inquiry.
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively.
- Ability to work independently and work effectively in a team environment.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of McLane and specific customers; work schedules may include working early mornings, overnight stays and driving long distances in order to meet customer demands.
- Meet this position’s physical demands which are classified as:
- Standing, walking, bending, pushing, pulling, grasping, and periodically reaching above the head
- Exerting 15-20 pounds of force occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time)
- Exerting 5-10 pounds of force frequently (activity or condition exists 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) Exerting up to 5 pounds of force constantly to move objects
The work conditions are primarily in a retail setting of a customer store, vehicle, or occasionally in an office environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.