Rocky Mountain Scientific Laboratory
Department: Research and Development
Location: Littleton, Colorado
U.S. Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess or be Able to Obtain: Secret
Description of Business Environment:
Peace is often associated with passivity. At Rocky Mountain Scientific Laboratory, we associate peace with strength, courage, and action. We know that enabling peace to prevail is not for the faint of heart, which is why we built our company foundation on the core values of Integrity, Quality, Agility, and Grit. We pride ourselves in providing unequaled services and technologies in the field of applied energetics to our customers. Our experts possess extensive knowledge and capability in energetic materials and military systems enabling them to offer analytical characterization, modeling & simulation, design, system integration, prototyping, test engineering, and proof-of-concept production services covering a wide range of applications. Our strengths lie in our ability and relentless determination to get the job done quickly and affordably.
RMSL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. All qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin or other legally protected status. An applicant with a disability or a disabled veteran can request reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our positions.
Specific Job Description:
RMSL is a growth company with an outstanding job opportunity for a Research Chemist. This position will report to the Research and Development Group Lead. The Research Chemist will be an integral part of a small cross functional team working on exciting development projects with cutting-edge technology. In this role, the ideal candidate will have a strong background in Chemistry with experience in organic and/or inorganic synthesis. This role will be a part of an integrated team focused on the development of novel energetic systems, energetic material scale-up processes, development of ammunition and armaments, testing and analysis of energetic materials. This individual must demonstrate innovation, an understanding of the fundamentals of engineering, an ability to learn, out-of-the-box thinking and creativity.
- Develop novel synthesis and scale-up processes
- Characterize novel energetic materials using a variety of analytical methods
- Formulation optimization of propellants, pyrotechnics, and explosive formulations
- Handling and testing of energetic materials, armaments, and weapon systems
- Integrate energetic materials in to end articles such as ammunition and munitions.
- Ability to handle materials with strict adherence to safety process requirements
- Design of experiments and test series that result in safe and efficient collection of data
- Design, source selection, installation, maintenance, and operation of specialized instrumentation and testing equipment.
- Assistance with company compliance in restricted information security regulations
- Project engineering tasks such as report writing, technical presentations (at customer and public meetings), and technical deliverables tracking
- Problem solver that can work in a team environment on fast pace projects
- Hands-on experience with energetic materials
- Proficient in standard laboratory practices
- Exercises creative thinking and innovation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Physical requirements:
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.; must have the ability to see near and far and work with a computer monitor on a daily basis
- Required to bend, sit, stand and lift to perform job effectively
- Must be able to work overtime as required
Highly Beneficial Skills:
- Familiar with general explosive effects and chemistry
- Experience in one or more of the following areas
- Continuous Synthesis
- Armament and munition development
- Energetic material synthesis and formulation
- Laboratory and pilot plant scale-up of energetic materials
- Knowledge of basic-intermediate chemistry and/or chemical engineering
- Experience with chemical formulation development
- Must have a BS and/or MS in Chemistry or related field
- Ability to obtain security clearance
- Ability to obtain CO State Blaster’s Permit