Toole Design Group in Boston, MA is looking to hire an experienced and talented full-time Senior Planner. Are you passionate about helping communities plan, build, and retrofit their transportation systems to make walking, bicycling, and transit safer, more attractive, more efficient, and healthier? Are you looking to collaborate with some of the most thoughtful and innovative transportation planners, engineers, landscape architects, urban designers, and policy experts? Are you interested in leading teams across disciplines and integrating input from stakeholders to create award-winning plans that build momentum and lead directly to implementation? Do you enjoy taking leadership and pursuing business development opportunities? Do you thrive in a values-driven and collaborative work environment? If so, please consider joining our Boston team!
This Senior Planner position earns a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, a health savings account (HSA), and a flexible spending account (FSA). We also provide employees with financial incentives to use transit, walk, or bike.
About Toole Design
With over 200 employees in 18 locations throughout the US and Canada, Toole Design is the leading planning, engineering, and landscape architecture firm specializing in multimodal transportation. For almost two decades, we've been transforming the way people move and helping communities thrive. Ethics, empathy, and equity inspire and guide everything we do. Our success is built on collaborative partnerships with our clients and an approach that goes beyond conventional solutions. Our projects are at many different scales: contributing to national design guidance for the Federal Highway Administration; state-level active transportation plans; design and engineering of city and town streets; site level access such as transit stations. Toole Design is committed to the well-being of its employees and we are proud of our ultra-collaborative and team-oriented environment and approach. We have been named a "best firm to work for" and have one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
A Day in the Life of a Senior Planner
Our planning group works on a wide range of projects, including active transportation plans, transit plans, multimodal corridor studies, street designs, trails and greenways, Vision Zero and Safe Routes to School programs, curbside management and parking, transportation demand management, and micro-mobility. We are known for our progressive approach to community engagement. The planning group works closely with the design, engineering, and landscape architecture practices within the firm.
As a Senior Planner, you would serve as project manager for a diverse portfolio of exciting and challenging projects throughout the Greater Boston Region and the Northeast, while also supporting projects across our North American offices. The work entails interfacing closely with clients; overseeing parallel tracks of work by staff teams, consultants and subconsultants; and developing, monitoring, and maintaining budgets and schedules. You would lead proposals for new pursuits, build relationships with existing and future clients, mentor junior staff, and ensure quality control review. You would assist in staff hiring and serve as direct supervisor for a small number of junior and mid-level staff. In addition, you would work closely with both the Boston Office Director and Northeast Planning Director to contribute to strategic direction, growth, and business development for our planning practice.
Required Qualifications of a Senior Planner:
- Most candidates achieve the level of expertise and experience needed for this role in about ten years in the field of transportation planning. There is not a requirement for a specific academic degree in any particular discipline.
- Prior experience in consulting.
- You have experience in several, but not all of the following broad areas: bicycle and pedestrian planning and design, transit planning, multi-modal corridor studies, community and stakeholder engagement, and/or policy (e.g., curbside management, parking, TDM, micro-mobility).
- You have demonstrable success in managing large, complex transportation planning projects, producing high quality work products, developing positive client relationships, and inspiring and motivating your teams.
- You have demonstratable success writing proposals and leading business development.
- You have experience directly supervising staff.
- You have strong written and presentation skills and have served as primary author for planning documents in previous positions.
- You are insightful and bring both a data-driven analytical approach and a qualitative people-centered approach to planning.
- You enjoy staying on the cutting edge in a rapidly changing field.
- You are interested in helping push for new and better ways to think about and incorporate equity both internally within the firm and externally with respect to how we frame and deliver projects.
Preferred, but not required, qualifications:
- We are particularly interested in candidates with a strong transit planning background.
- A strong working knowledge of the Greater Boston region's geography, agencies, and political landscape is a plus.
- The ability to serve as a bridge between transportation planning and other urban planning disciplines such as placemaking, housing, economic development, and environment.
You'll be great here if:
- You have strong leadership skills and enjoy participating in multi-disciplinary teams
- You are passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable
- You enjoy producing high-quality work products and seeing your projects get built
- You can build strong and healthy relationships, bring enthusiasm to exciting projects, and are detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
Work Schedule for a Senior Planner:
This full-time position typically works a flexible schedule of 40 hours a week. We also provide employees with the flexibility and necessary equipment to work from home 2-3 days per week. Our office is located in downtown Boston within a short walk to all of the major rapid transit lines and close to both North Station and South Station commuter rail lines.
Ready to Join our Boston Team? We understand your time is valuable, so we have a quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this Senior Planner position, please fill out our application by clicking on the link on this page. You will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume. As part of the application, you will be asked to furnish a paragraph addressing the following: "Toole is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please briefly discuss how that shows up both in your life and work."
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. Toole Design is a woman-owned business and an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer). We encourage women and people of color to apply. We're proud that about half of our managers are women and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. No matter what your background is, we encourage you to apply for this position. We look forward to meeting you!
For more information about Toole Design, visit our website, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, or like us on Facebook.