Requisition ID # 117974
Job Category : Information Technology; Engineering / Science; Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
Join a small, high-performing, and dynamic team building the future of PG&E’s electrical grid that will reliably and safely deliver affordable and clean energy to our customers and communities. The Integrated Grid Platform team is dedicated to implementing an Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS), fundamental to a sustainable energy future and the Grid of Tomorrow. We are seeking an experienced engineer who is accountable, acts with integrity, values diversity, and is collaborative to take a critical role that will influence system design, validate system performance, and resolve implementation challenges.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Senior Engineer will focus on the enhancing and improving the data quality of PG&E electrical network model (NM database) within the ADMS platform. The successful candidate will be a crucial resource, partnering and collaborating with Engineering, Grid Operations, and IT stakeholders, and the ADMS vendor. This position provides the opportunity to build and support a leading edge technology solution and assist with Operations Technology Strategy enabling PG&E to improve and enhance key SCADA, Work and Outage Management, and Distributed Energy Resources Manage capabilities for the future of the PG&E electric grid. They will be responsible for establishing the network model maintenance process including streamlining and improving the changeset promotion process for connectivity models of substations, feeder networks and associated SCADA points, understanding the various data streams that are needed to model grid impact, monitoring, troubleshooting, and reporting data inconsistencies and errors in the network model and serve as point of escalation to the ADMS Support team for questions, concerns or guidance related to the network model. Being a key engineer for the Network Model function requires excellent organizational, communication, problem solving and business analysis skills to understand the user’s requirements, correlate them to the vendor’s capabilities, and reach a team consensus on a path forward.
The successful candidate will participate and support the ADMS Network Model team by:
- Act as a lead liaison and collaborate with system integrators, PG&E IT and Cyber Security, and PG&E business Subject Matter Experts (SME) to implement ADMS.
- Partner and collaborate with ADMS vendor to resolve technical & data challenges, incorporate best practices; and, deliver internal clients’ needs quickly and efficiently.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the product solutions and provide direction and input on the PG&E operational technology roadmap.
- Partner with a Network Model team responsible for supporting, enhancing and tuning PG&E’s electrical distribution Network Model by performing engineering analysis to support ongoing operations of the ADMS solution.
- Participating in ADMS’s functional testing to validate system performance, ensuring the system accurately incorporates electrical theory, accounts for the operational behaviors of the distribution grid, and meets PG&E’s acceptance criteria.
During this project (thru 2024), travel to San Ramon will be required up to 40%.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science
- 5 years of job-related experience in utility engineering and operations
- Experience with grid modeling software (e.g. CYMDIST, PSLF, Aspen, etc.)
- Experience in T&D engineering
- Experience with algorithms and techniques for electric grid power flow analysis, state estimating and an understanding of Distributed Energy Resources and their impact to the electric grid.
- Experience champion process efficiency and effective change management
- Experience with electrical utility Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Understanding of electrical apparatus, and protection equipment
- Working knowledge of T&D grid & asset data
- Programming with SQL, Python, C#, etc.
- Understanding on how to read XML files
- Ability to foster teamwork, and work collaboratively
- Motivated, self-starter, eager to master new skills
- Familiarity with key Electric Operations systems such as GIS, CYME, PI Historian, PSLF, Aspen, etc.