Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ([Link available when viewing the job]) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
Strategic Spend Manager is responsible for rationalizing and segmenting Newmont’s global spend in support of sourcing strategies and initiatives in a manner that sustains and leverages the company’s global spend, scope and scale to drive the continuous search of an efficient sourcing execution.
Serve as data, business process subject matter authority relating to Supply Chain (SC) Category Management process. Analyze Newmont internal spend data, conduct market and supplier profile analysis, and compile overall spend reporting needs. Act as a point of contact for Category Management and spend Reporting and Analytic applications’ innovation to drive value and improve features and usage across all Supply Chain customers.
In this role you will
Continuous Improvement and Functional Excellence
- We evaluate continuous improvement opportunities within the sourcing and procurement
- We support Rapid Replication programs to generate maximum benefit to the business
- We provide and maintain procurement data, as well as supervising performance in local procurement targets
- We provide inputs and suggestions into ERP and other systems supporting of Category Management and Spend Management
Strategic Spend Management:
- We contribute to the development and maintenance of spend analysis tools and dashboards
- We support procurement forecasting initiatives through upstream procurement analysis
- We support accuracy measurement and management of site price/cost planning of production and operating inputs
- We contribute to the Category Management team in the development and implementation of strategic sourcing strategies
- We lead and mobilize the team in identifying and capturing new areas where Supply Chain can add value and drive cost savings; tracks and improves non-compliance with preferred suppliers
- We integrate business requirements and systems functionalities to support the effective control of NG’s global spend across all segments and categories of spend
Improves organizational effectiveness and human performance
- We make the overall corporation more effective and efficient, through an understanding of local cultural norms, political and social issues
- We exhibit “team values” to cultivate a teaming culture
- We lead change and actively sponsor key activities and initiatives
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Minimum of five years of experience working for an extraordinary supply management organization in the context of category management.
- Minimum five years of experience crafting and running comprehensive forecasting, budgeting and technical supplier management performance measurement programs
- Extensive knowledge of strategic sourcing, category management and spend management.
- Minimum five years of experience developing market intelligence, should cost models for goods and services, situated across multiple regional and global mine sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Accounting, Engineering (mining, industrial, mechanical, process, chemical, etc.) or related field, or equivalent experience, is required.
- Master’s degree in business administration or certification in procurement efficiency preferred.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word; with a working knowledge of Microsoft Visio and Projects.
- Previous experience as Ariba user or administrator.
- Experience using and creating dashboards in PowerBI and Tableau.
- Strong financial literacy and analytical skills, with capability to assess overall financial health of current and potential suppliers/contractors and market trends.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to influence others. Written and spoken Spanish is a plus.
- Knowledge of SAP or equivalent ERP system is desired.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related procurement experience or equivalent combination of training and experience are vital.
- Mining experience preferred.
- Global awareness through experience working with other cultures and people.
- Possess and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and pay close attention to details.
- Possess high ethical and professional standards in all dealings.
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
- The preferred location is the Denver Corporate office but qualified candidates interested in relocation to Denver, or candidates in proximity to our Vancouver regional office or in proximity to one of our Canadian operations are also encouraged to apply.
- Travel to other domestic and international sites is required.
- Some extended hours may be required for calls with international regions/sites.
The salary range offered for this role is $83,600 to 109,725. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.