Strategist (20 hours/week, remote, contract-to-hire)
- Are you looking for an opportunity to integrate brilliant strategy with naming for household names in the tech industry?
- Do you want to work with a streamlined, senior team that values autonomy, communication and inner drive as much as they value being part of a tight-knit team that creates excellent work, knows everyone’s actions matter, and can rely on each other?
- Are you ready to let go of perfectionism, practice radical candor, and uphold a people-centric approach to business?
House of Who is looking for a sharp-as-nails, dive-right-in strategist with experience in naming. In this role, you will combine your analytical chops and research prowess with your creative know-how to work with our clients. We want someone interested in working through client research and able to organize it into useful insights and compelling narratives, at agency speed. We are looking for someone who can absorb ideas and visualize the arc of a story. This semi-client-facing role will also require developing rich insights and strategic “cases,” naming criteria, briefs and copy, and collaborating deeply with the rest of the team-while always being able to self-manage and move solid work forward independently. This role requires the brain of a strategist, with the heart of a creative and the work ethic of a Clydesdale.
- Collaborate with our Head of Creative on brand architecture, nomenclature and naming systems strategy, and be able to apply them to projects. This job is more so answering questions like: "What should this Fortune 50 company name its second-generation software brand after a major acquisition and why?" and less about answering questions like: "What are the mission/vision/values of this startup?"
- Hand-craft brand or naming strategy, content, and other strategies, working with the project management and Creative Director as appropriate. A strong sense of process is a must.
- Research, analysis, and synthesis of data, including stakeholder interviews, competitive audits, whitespace analysis, and trend analysis in support of brand and naming strategy development.
- Create compelling brand and naming architecture and strategy presentation decks with supporting rationale, and world-building when necessary to best convey the work.
- Be comfortable being client-facing, presenting, and supporting with equal ease.
- Develop laser-sharp creative briefs and strategy “cases,” express that through presentation decks, and work with the creative team to ensure all deliverables are on-brand.
- Be able to flex between B2B and B2C projects
- Experience as a strategist or demonstrated strategic thinking skills is a must
- Must feel comfortable with desktop research; analyzing materials to pull insights, ideas, and inspirations; assimilating disparate inputs to form a cohesive narrative
- Must be proficient with building a presentation deck in either Powerpoint or Google Slides (Google Slides preferred)
- Solid analysis, research, and insight-finding capabilities
- Agency experience is a plus
- Experience with naming or linguistics is a plus
- Familiarity with traditional brand platform components (Mission, Vision, Positioning, Target Audience, Differentiation, etc.) is a plus
- Sustained attention: focus on a single task for a long period of time.
- Selective attention: focus your attention on a single task.
- Divided attention: retain information while successfully completing two or more tasks at the same time.
- Long-term memory: recall information from the past.
- Working/Short-term memory: retain information while you are using it.
- Logic and reasoning: solve problems, generate ideas, analyze data and compile reports.
- Auditory processing: make sense of information that comes in through your ears by blending, analyzing and segmenting sounds for immediate or future use.
- Visual processing: analyze designs, proofread important documents and make sense of visual representations of data, such as graphs and tables.
- Processing speed: quickly and accurately perform tasks.
- Active listening: gather information and engaging with the speaker. Totally unafraid to ask questions.
- Humility: Willingness to recognize areas for improvement and growth.
- Dependability: can be relied on in any given situation, punctual and able to follow through, ability to take responsibility for actions.
- Empathy: understand the needs and feelings of others.
- Leadership: effective with decision making, proactive and able to self-manage time and task prioritization.
- Teamwork: able to work together as a team, hyper-communicative, flexible and responsible.
- Practice awareness: take time during the span of a business week to pay special attention to the interactions around you, both yours and others.
- Emotional awareness: monitor emotions and your response to them; be self-aware about your needs and practices self-care.
- React and respond to others: address and work with others based on the way you observe they are feeling.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional remote office environment. Must be located in the U.S.
This role would require the ability to remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods; constantly operate a computer; converse with other individuals; assess documents, emails and presentation materials; move and access objects in their home office workspace, such as a computer, desk, chair, or filing cabinets.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a contract-to-hire position. Compensation is $68-$80/hour during the 6-month contract period, then $55,000-$65,000 annual salary upon hiring (rate commensurate with experience). The expected work hours are not to exceed 20 hours per week. Reports to the Head of Creative.
No travel is expected for this position with the exception of the 1-2 company retreats per year if converted to employment.
House of Who Inc. is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We are a team of humans who believe in mutual respect, support, and appreciation of all backgrounds and perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.