About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE’s comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
What we will expect from you once you’re here
Team Managers (TMs) set the benchmark for culture and performance leadership. They are exemplary models of RS culture and demonstrate outstanding leadership, management, and accountability (LMA) over their team of individual contributors. TMs learn to use professional management concepts and apply company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues. They grasp key concepts in change management and employee development and are responsible for managing the capacity of their direct reports. They use their experience in the delivery of at least one Research Square service and their experience and strengths in personnel management to lead their team to high-quality, high-service, and on-time product delivery. TMs participate in hiring, training, and developing the right people in the right seats and are directly accountable to the Quality, Service, and Workload Management (QSW) success metrics for their team. They also participate in the establishment and execution of our operational strategy.
In addition, the Team Manager of the Processing team will be responsible for conveying company-level decisions and providing context about these decisions with a particular focus on product, operations, customer service, and engineering changes that require modification of Processor work or practices. Team managers in Operations also gather input and feedback on processes and protocols from their teams to inform division- and company-level decisions. They are attentive and responsive to team member needs. A strong understanding of operations as a practice and the operations involved in delivering Editing products will be a critical factor for success in the Processor TM role.
Experience you will need
- Effectively communicates goals and changes with the appropriate level of context and from a business priorities point of view.
- Engages in weekly communication via email, IM, Slack, and team meetings around processes and workload is required. Individual written feedback and in-person 1-1s are completed regularly.
- Uses a “boots on the ground” focus to gain experience in product delivery processes and help even out the workload on a weekly basis, with a focus on collecting grassroots feedback from employees and customers to establish informed improvement goals for our customers, contractors, and colleagues.
- Manages team workload targets and implement strategies to get the work done in a way that meets our QSW and efficiency goals.
- Practices continuous self-improvement through internal and external personnel and operations management training.
What the Editing Service TM delivers:
- A team that delivers high-quality, high-service, on-time processing of new submissions
- Team scheduling that balances QSW and efficiency goals
- Employees that are engaged and feel supported, and they’re the right people in the right seats
- Process improvements and product insights
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree a field of science or learning, including the humanities, life and physical sciences, law, medicine, business, engineering, social sciences, and earth sciences
- Experience in leading a remote team, with a focus on service delivery; 2-3 years preferred
- Demonstrated experience in leading improvement projects
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- High level of self-motivation and personal accountability
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively to continuously improve service operations
- Enjoys a rapid pace of change and is skilled in communicating change to others
- Commitment to team building and team results; dedication to developing others
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience
- Introducing and leading improvements in Operations
- In copyediting or language editing
- In academic publishing
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote based.
- This is a US based role.
The starting, non-negotiable, salary up to 55,000 based on experience.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal’s Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.