Posting Title Temporary – Community Health Worker I Job Requisition Number COA084252 Position Number T95505 Job Type Full-Time Division Name Austin Public Health Minimum Qualifications
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience providing services in a community setting.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Successful completion of the State of Texas Community Health Worker certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
Notes to Applicants Purpose: Responsible for developing partnerships and coordinating services with stakeholders, providers, community leaders, affinity groups and residents to provide education and vaccination to populations disproportionately affected by COVID 19 in this community. This will include assisting with planning, implementing, and coordinating various outreach efforts to reduce and eliminate barriers to the identified populations getting vaccinated.
This is a grant funded position. The allocation of monies is subject to modification, reduction, or cancellation by action of City of Austin or grantor.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
If you are selected to interview:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin [Link available when viewing the job] you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
- If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
- Candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
- All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any Austin. Public Health worksite – including parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
When public health responds to an emergency, you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than Austin Public Health.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in perceiving and reacting sensitively to the needs of others.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of required HIPPA and other Texas privacy laws.
- Application of good knowledge of current cultural, social, economic and public health issues and community demographics.
- Interacts with clients, community partners and co-workers with fairness and equity and deliver services free of bias or prejudice.
- Ensure the health and safety of the community within ability and resources and treat the diverse customers with thoughtful listening and respect.
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
Any Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days. Pay Range $17.54 – $21.12
Hours Monday-Friday 9am-6pm.
Evenings and weekends may be required. Job Close Date
11/28/2021 Type of Posting External Department Austin Public Health Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position Grant Funded Category Professional Location 7201 Levander Loop Preferred Qualifications
- Current CHW certification
- Experience providing community health outreach
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides culturally congruent health education to clients and groups.
- Assists clients in accessing community resources and other basic need support.
- Identifies client needs and connects client to appropriate resources.
- Identifies and documents cultural and socioeconomic barriers between clients and service providers.
- Identifies target population gatekeepers and outreach sites and conducts community outreach as requested.
- Provides continuous coaching and support for clients to sustain active participation in their personal health management, which may include performing home visits and assisting clients in appointments with primary care providers or other service providers.
- Maintains electronic health records and client information in accordance with HIPPA privacy standards.
- Facilitates communication and coordinates services between service providers and clients.
- Collaborates with other program staff to support continuum of services/care.
- Expands knowledge and understanding of community resources, services, and programs.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of community and family environmental conditions that affect a client’s social adjustment.
- Knowledge of principles of culture, cultural competency, and cultural humility.
- Knowledge of public health and social service resources.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of case management.
- Knowledge of personal computers and word processing software.
- Knowledge of reporting procedures.
- Skill in communicating both orally and in writing.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, officials, clients, providers, regulatory agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to demonstrate cultural and linguistic competency.
- Ability to work with and relate to individuals and families from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to recognize and address barriers to care that result in better outcomes.
- Ability to plan and share culturally appropriate health information.
- Ability to complete applications for assistance.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with clients, providers, or others in a professional manner.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality as required by HIPAA and Texas privacy laws.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call [Phone number shown when applying] or TTY [Phone number shown when applying]. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience providing services in a community setting. Successful completion of the State of Texas Community Health Worker certification within twelve (12) months of employment. Do you meet these requirements?
- * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
- * Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
- * Are you trained and certified as a Community Health Worker?
- * Please describe your experience doing community outreach on behalf of a government entity.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
- Don’t know
- * Are you bi-lingual or multi-lingual, with the ability to effectively communicate in Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi, American Sign Language or any other world language? If so, please list the languages and your ability to speak, read and write in each.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you available to work after-hours/weekends as needed, including but not limited to incident-response and project-work?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter