Posting Title Temporary – Office Attendant I and II (Part-time/Multiple Positions/Parks and Recreation Department) Job Requisition Number COA084274 Position Number T93005 Job Type Part-Time Division Name Parks & Recreation Minimum Qualifications
This position will be filled at one of the following based on qualifications:
- Office Attendant I (Salary: $15.00 per hour) 18 yrs of age, High School Diploma/GED.
- Office Attendant II (Salary: $15.75 per hour) 18 yrs; High School Diploma/GED, plus 6 months experience or Associates Degree.
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click [Link available when viewing the job] for more information.
Purpose of Position:
The Office Attendant I or II is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work twenty (20) hours per week. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, exercise good judgment, and have excellent communication skills. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support and monitor the Center during scheduled hours.
- Perform opening and closing procedures of facility.
- Provide customer information and conference room reservation services.
- Cash handling and record-keeping.
- Front of house reception and greeting for the facility.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting – up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as “See Resume” will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to twenty five (25) pounds. Must be physically and mentally able to work with participants adapting to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, hiking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching in rugged terrain. Tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement. Ability to work outside in all types of weather and/or inclement conditions, and in confined spaces.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Work/Location Schedule Notes: May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays. Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin [Link available when viewing the job], you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
Pay Range $15.00 – $15.75 per hour. Hours
Days and Hours:
- 20 – 40 hours per week, variable schedule.
- May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Job Close Date
11/26/2021 Type of Posting External Department Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable Category Clerical Location Various Austin Parks & Recreation Facilities Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with cash handling, record keeping and file maintenance.
- Experience working in a fast paced environment and communicating with diverse populations and communities, in person, by phone, email, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams.
Ability to fluently communicate (reading, writing, speaking) in English and Spanish.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Greet visitors and provide information about the facility and the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Answer phone and route calls, take and relay messages.
- Register participants for programs.
- Cash handling and processing payments.
- Assist with facility reservations.
- Assist with program marketing.
- Coordinate mail flow in and out of office.
- Send email and faxes.
- Open center and/or close center.
- Ensure reception area is clean.
- Cleaning duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ability to handle a high-volume of customers.
- Skill in providing customer service.
- Ability to work irregular hours.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call [Phone number shown when applying] or TTY [Phone number shown when applying]. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires a High School diploma or GED and applicants must be 18 years of age or older? Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
- * Have you previously worked for the City of Austin, Parks and Recreation Department? If yes, please indicate dates, work unit/section and position held at the Parks and Recreation Department.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Would you prefer to work North, Central, or South?
(Open Ended Question)
- * As related to this position, describe your experience working at a customer service desk in a recreational facility/center?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience with cash handling and record keeping.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you bilingual in English/Spanish?
- Fluent in both languages – speak, read and write
- Fluent in both languages – speak only
- Fluent in Spanish only
- Fluent in English only
- None of the above
- * Select the level that best describes your skill and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * This position is temporary part-time position, that will be scheduled to work up to 20 hours per week. Hours and days vary based on the facility needs. The person selected will be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs; and also may be required to work evenings, weekends, & holidays. Can you work on the days and hours as noted?
- * The schedule for this position may vary at times. List any hours or days of the week that you cannot work.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
- * If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter