Perform a variety of duties, primarily housekeeping tasks, relating to the maintenance and appearance of Arboretum buildings. Assist Arboretum staff with facilities and events related matters including set-up and tear-down. Regular schedule is Wednesday - Sunday; 10 am - 6 pm.
- Clean and/or maintain assigned building(s) or event space on a daily basis. Use all applicable equipment and cleaning supplies necessary to maintain the building(s) according to established procedures. This may include a quarterly detailed cleaning of restrooms and floors.
- Set-up and tear-down rooms for meetings, rental events, special events, and organization events in assigned building(s). May provide guidance for event set-up and tear-down during evening and weekend hours.
- May coordinate with the primary event staff point of contact to ensure events meet the Arboretum’s highest standards.
- Check buildings regularly for any issues and report or repair as needed.
- Receive deliveries, sign for receivables, and deliver to appropriate location.
- Receive service personnel, such as elevator mechanic and utility companies, and direct them to appropriate mechanical rooms and meters.
- Make minor repairs to doors, furniture and small equipment. Assist staff with the moving of furniture or other heavy items.
- Disconnect alarm system on weekday mornings, where applicable.
- Report any apparent hazards to public safety to the Facilities Supervisor. Notify appropriate service personnel of any problems occurring in buildings, such as the malfunction of heating cooling, plumbing, or electrical systems, or roof leaks.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent preferred. 2 years of full-time experience in custodial work preferred. Basic knowledge of the fundamental techniques of building maintenance required. Ability to service and handle the basic tools, equipment, and materials used in custodial work required. May have exposure to bloodborne pathogens as a result of job duties. Optional vaccination (Hepatitis B vaccine) will be made available. Must become certified and maintain certification in First Aid and CPR (classes provided). May be requested to obtain OSHA forklift certification; forklift experience preferred. Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications beneficial.
Ability to organize and schedule tasks in an efficient manner. Ability to follow directions. Ability to interact with employees and visitors in a courteous and patient manner. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Resourcefulness in managing last minute customer requests. Spanish fluency is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires regular physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 75lbs. assisted), bending, climbing (up to 12 ft.), standing (up to 7 hours daily), walking. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Environment: Arboretum buildings. Work is performed indoors and outdoors.
- Equipment: General custodial cleaning equipment, Cushman cart, hand truck, furniture cars, pick-up truck with lift tailgate, forklift, ladders, two-way radio, general office equipment.
- Schedule: Work requires occasional evening and weekend hours; depending on assignment, may require regular evenings and weekends with occasional holiday hours.
For full consideration, please include resume and cover letter with application.
The Morton Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce.