Recruitment Range: $36,650 - $48,058
GN06: $31,200 - $48,058
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is committed to attracting and retaining high quality talent, and developing career tracks that strengthen our organization while allowing employees to build satisfying careers. Join the diverse talent community at NCDOT in a variety of jobs, including engineering, IT, public transportation, financial management, research and many other positions across the state. When you work for North Carolina you can rely upon a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity and teamwork; the ability to impact positive change for the citizens of North Carolina; and benefit options that will enhance your quality of life, health, wellness and future.
We are currently looking for Driver License Examiners. You will be responsible for administering eligibility tests, evaluating persons applying for classified Driver License, Commercial Driver License, Learners permits and ID cards. Dealing with high volume of transactions, you will use your first class customer service skills to confirm applicant's knowledge of NC Motor Vehicle laws, identification of road signs, checking vision and observing/evaluating driving skills by riding with the customer in their personal vehicle on a road test in all types of weather. You will serve as a public advisor to identify any possible health concerns with drivers, advise customers of adjunct service programs available, and ensure applicant data and court ordered information is entered accurately into internal system for reporting.
You are the face of DMV and serve an important role to reduce wait times and improve customer service. Ensuring we meet our mission in providing for customers in other offices, flexibility to travel during the day and overnight on short notice may be required.
If you have a passion for customer service and open to flexible work schedule, then we encourage you to apply.
Qualified applicants must submit an application that clearly reflects work experience that demonstrates the following:
- Ability to learn NC DMV policy, procedure and/or laws to educate customers
- Customer service experience (friendly, enthusiastic attitude who enjoy serving customers) with a diverse clientele
- Basic Microsoft Word, Excel skills and MS Office in general
- Tech savvy utilizing databases and quick learning of internal systems
- Experience in evaluation of information or documents to make determinations for actions
- Collaborative team player working out solutions for delivery
- A typing test will be administered when interviews are conducted.
- Experience with collection and disbursement of cash is helpful.
- Special Requirement: Must have a valid class C North Carolina Driver License, with no more than 5 active points and no suspensions/revocations within the last 10 years on driver license
- ***Must attend, complete and pass a certification training requiring overnight stay Monday-Friday for 4 - 7 weeks***
- This position is subject to the Federal Government's REAL ID Act. Therefore, pursuant to 6 CFR, 37.45, selected candidates are required to undergo a background check which includes a name and fingerprint-based criminal history record check. Selected candidates will be given conditional offers of employment that would allow him or her to begin training prior to receipt of background check results. Prior to beginning employment at a DMV office, selected candidates must have successful outcomes for their background check and training. There is a cost associated with the background check for new employees.
Applicant must meet both the minimum requirements and all posted Knowledge, Skills and Abilities to be considered qualified for the position.
Your application must include all of your relevant education and work experience and you must answer all questions associated with the application. NCDOT will not accept "see attached" or resumes in lieu of education and work experience completed on the application. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the closing date will be accepted.
Graduation from high school and the demonstrated possession of
knowledges, skills, and abilities gained through at least two years
of clerical, administrative, or paraprofessional experience
involving the resolution of varied public contact situations which
include interviewing and/or explaining information of considerable
detail; or an equivalent combination of training and
Necessary Special Qualification:
Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver License. Must have a valid N.C. Driver License with no suspensions or revocations within the past 10 years in any state for any motor vehicle related offense and no more than 5 active points. This position is considered "covered" under the REAL ID Act. Therefore, pursuant to 6 CFR, 37.45, the selected candidate will be required to undergo a background check which includes a name-based and fingerprint-based criminal history record check. The candidate that is selected for the position will be given a conditional offer of employment that would allow him or her to begin work subject to the results of the background check. Prior to beginning employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a name-based and fingerprint-based criminal history record check. A cost will be associated with this process for new employees. No cost is associated with this process for existing DMV employees.