Job Title: First Processing Supervisor
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Production Management
The First Processing Supervisor is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production in First
Processing to in Evisceration, Trim, Fresh Pack Out and other components of further processing of fresh products. Including planning and forecasting for daily production, training and coaching of hourly employees, tracking and managing employee performance and disciplinary action, and managing all inventory levels to ensure production line has resources needed to accomplish production goals and achieve 100% order fulfillment.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned
- Ability to maintain records and charts to meet Quality Assurance and USDA’s requirements
- Ability to follow and enforce Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP’s),
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP’s) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) while working
- Promote a safe and productive work atmosphere
- Involvement in developing, implementing and enforcing policies and procedures throughout the plant with an emphasis in first processing
- Develop a positive working relationship with USDA
- Assist with implementation of corrective action for audit deficiencies and customer complaints as appropriate
- Supervises the activities and personnel engaged in production in each processing stage
- Oversees and participates in the development of performance, efficiency, and product quality standards
- Provides direction and insight to Leads and collaborates with other department managers
(Operations Manager, Second Processing and Shipping) regarding the coordination of production
- Manages labor allocation and cost to meet Company Labor Standards
- Ensures the general conformance with employment policies, progressive discipline, the issuance of warnings, and the administration of other disciplinary measures when necessary through the guidance of Human Resources
- Manage internal programs such as communications, performance evaluations and training
- Communicates and enforces established quality standards for all products; implements methods to measure, monitor and test all components of the Company HACCP Plan
- Monitors daily yield and production numbers and makes necessary adjustments to maintain expected output and quality KPI’s
- Trains, coaches and evaluates Leads, demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Plans and coordinates weekly safety briefings and informs Team Members of Company rules, policies and production and quality expectations
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
5 to 7 years’ experience in a food manufacturing environment with at least two years of supervisory/leadership experience; protein/USDA experience a plus. Demonstrated leadership skills with a solid track record of people development, team building, conflict resolution, and the ability to train and motivate personnel to achieve efficient production results. Working knowledge of GMP’s, SOP’s, HAACP, OSHA and other quality and safety programs in food processing environments.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to managers and other employees of the organization.
Direct oversight of First Processing functions regarding hourly production staff and Production
Assistants. Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, administering recognition and/or discipline, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for the duration of the production shift; talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is infrequently required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 70 pounds.
Office and plant setting - The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non- weather related) and cold temps. Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the processing area.
Note: This position description does not list every activity, duty, and responsibility of the position
and may be altered by Operations Manager/VPO at any time.
I acknowledge that I have read the description and requirements and I certify that I can perform the essential functions for the following position: First Processing Supervisor
Signature: _________________________________ Date: ________________
Supervisor: ________________________________ Date: ________________
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40.00 to $45.00 /hour
- Food manufacturing: 5 years (Required)
- supervising staff: 2 years (Required)
- English (Required)
- Can you stand for long periods of time working in cold damp conditions?
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift