- Job family (Series)
1701 General Education And Training
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens and Non-citizens with allegiance to the United States.
This is a full-time, temporary appointment in the excepted service not to exceed 12 months. As a temporary employee you will be eligible for medical insurance, long term care insurance, and flexible spending account. You will be eligible to earn annual leave and sick leave.
Qualification Requirements : Applicants must (a) hold a bachelor's degree or higher that included or was supplemented by major study ineducation or in a subject matter field appropriate to the position OR (b) possess a combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional coursework that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described above.
Selective Placement Factors/Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSA's) : Applicants will be evaluated on the following: 1) academic accomplishment (a juris doctorate degree is preferred), 2) ability to teach, design the curriculum for a law elective course (e.g. "Civil Rights Law"), 3) demonstrated proficiency in student-centered and active-learning instruction, 4) demonstrated scholarly potential, 5) demonstrated potential to contribute to cadet development, and 6) demonstrated potential to conduct independent research.Education
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) andU.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.Additional information
How You Will Be Evaluated
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 31- Education Services position
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume/curriculum vitae and supporting documents) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, andquality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration foremployment.Background checks and security clearanceSecurity clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
1) Cover Letter
2) Curriculum Vitae and/or Resume of relevant industry experiences: If you submit a resume with inappropriate material, e.g. photos, you will notbe considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format.
3) Official Academic Transcripts
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants.
1. You MUST submit documents verifying your veteran's preference or military spouse preference if you are claiming these preferences. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- for military spouse preference claims, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and marriage certificate;
- for verification of Veteran status, DD 214(which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter as applicable and/or Activation/Deactivation orders.
If you fail to provide these required documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
NOTE : Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
About the Position: The U.S. Military Academy, West
Point, NY is an academic institution located in the Hudson River
Valley, 50 miles from New York City. The historic site is the
oldest continuously occupied military post in America. West Point
is a self-contained city with housing, a Department of Public
Works, libraries, hospital, fire department, chapels, and
restaurants. Employees have access to Eisenhower Hall Theater,
Hudson Valley's performing arts center, and recreational
As an Assistant Professor, you will teach undergraduate law courses in the Department of Law at the United States Military Academy, an accredited 4-year undergraduate college. Your primary teaching duty will be to serve as the course director and teach our course LW461, Civil Rights Law, an elective course for Law and Legal Studies Majors and cadets pursuing a Diversity Minor. In addition, the individual hired must be able to represent and advise the Academy by serving as a faculty representative to committees and initiatives focused on promoting diversity education opportunities in order to support the personal growth and development of cadets in and out of the classroom.