- FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
- Facilitating the delivery of Public Assistance grant funding on behalf of Applicants; this includes (but is not limited to) developing the list of damaged sites, scheduling site inspections, summarizing applicant damages, and coordinating requests for information and questions.
- Working with the applicants to resolve their program related needs ensuring projects are processed as efficiently and expeditiously as possible.
- Tracking and communicating the progress of all projects through the entire program delivery model in coordination with the Applicant.
- Engaging program offices as soon as potential opportunities or concerns arise.
- Discussing potential Hazard Mitigation opportunities with the Applicant.
- Hosting key information meetings ensuring recovery priorities and program eligibility requirements are communicated.
- Gathering all required documentation to enable FEMA to write grants so the applicant can be returned to their Pre-Disaster condition as soon as possible.
- Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59.
- Please review "Other Information" section for additional conditions.
Please ensure you meet the qualification requirements described below.Qualifications
FEMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salaries are comparable to local pay rates.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
STAFFORD ACT EXCEPTED SERVICE APPOINTMENTS : The Local Hire Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act. Appointments under this authority within FEMA are made to the excepted service and are nonpermanent in nature.
To qualify for this position, you must possess experience:
- Reviewing Federal Grant documentation for compliance to regulations;
- Developing and presenting correspondence such as reports or briefings; and
- Coordinating with federal, state, local, and/or tribal partners in support of a disaster recovery mission.
- Minimum age of eighteen years of age is required.
- All candidates must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and provides valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Your application must show that you meet all requirements for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
Current or former FEMA Reservists/DAE employees: To accurately credit your experience for these intermittent positions, make sure to list the dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY) of each deployment, along with the job title and specific duties you were responsible for during each deployment. Failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.EducationAdditional information
How You Will Be Evaluated
- Local hire positions are full time, temporary positions.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for Public Trustclearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined ( Mythbuster ), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/ .
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment , and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify , including your rights and responsibilities.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- NOTE: TRAVEL BACK AND FORTH TO PANAMA CITY, FL WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED. LODGING WILL NOT BE PROVIDED TO LOCAL HIRE EMPLOYEES.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. If you are qualified, you will be referred to a selection panel for consideration.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
Interview Requirement. Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
To preview questions please click here .Background checks and security clearanceSecurity clearance
OtherDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Your resume. NOTE: Your resume must be in English in order to receive consideration.
- Your responses to the job questionnaire - You will be directed to the online job questionnaire once you begin the application process for this position.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Local Hire employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Health insurance for individual or family coverage. Employer contribution is 75% of premium. NOTE: Local Hire employees are eligible for enrollment for health insurance coverage as of the official hire date/employment date with FEMA.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance
- Ability to earn 4 hours of paid Sick Leave per pay period
- Holiday pay
- Worker’s Compensation
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate
need to employ residents of Panama City, FL as temporary
local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts.
Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of
the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery
process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
This is an open continuous announcement which will remain open
until 11:59 pm EST on 03/12/2019 . Applications will be
reviewed for consideration and referral approximately every two
All applicants received by the cut-off date will be reviewed for qualifications. Those found qualified and requesting consideration, will be referred for consideration for open positions.
Those who apply by the first cut-off of Monday February 25, 2019 will receive first consideration. At each cut-off date, qualification determinations will be made and a list of qualified candidates will be referred to management for consideration for any remaining positions.
Local Hire employees:
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in delivering Public Assistance grant funding.
In this position, the incumbent will report to the Public Assistance Program Delivery Task Force Lead and serve as the primary point of contact for the applicant.
Typical assignments include: