- Job family (Series)
1701 General Education And Training
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
If selected, official college or university transcript will be required.Qualifications
Who May Apply : All U.S. Citizens.
This is an Excepted Service Appointment.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .
Basic Requirement for Performance Enhancement Specialist:
A. Degree : Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, such as Sports Psychology or any other related fields.
- OR -
B. Combination of Education and Experience : Courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, such as Sports Psychology or any other related fields, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the four-year course of study described in A above.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, you will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
1. Academic accomplishment (advanced degree in sport psych from accredited institution, AASP CMPC highly desirable)
2. Experience teaching sport psychology at the collegiate level
3. Experience conducting formal applied sport psychology training to individual athletes at the collegiate or higher level
4. Experience conducting formal applied sport psychology group and team training with collegiate or higher level athletes
5. Experience conducting formal applied sport psychology training with other adult high-stakes populations (e.g. military, law enforcement, performing arts)
Time in Grade Requirement : Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-09).Education
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: Sports Psychology or any other related fields.
- OR -
Combination of Education and Experience : A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) andU.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html .
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.Additional information
How You Will Be Evaluated
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 31 - Education Services position.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website .
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualification and quality ranking for this position. Your application package(resume/curriculum vitae, letter of application and narrative that addresses each of the seven knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) listed above,and statement of teaching philosophy) will be evaluated by a faculty search committee and final selection will be made via interview by the selecting official.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.Background checks and security clearanceSecurity clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility .
1. Your resume:
- Your resume/curriculum vitae may be submitted in any format.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
- Cover Letter, optional
- Academic Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- A Sample of Scholarship
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses .
1. You MUST submit documents verifying your veteran's preference or military spouse preference if you are claiming these preferences. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- for military spouse preference claims, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and marriage certificate;
- for veteran's preference claims, DD 214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter as applicable and/or Activation/Deactivation orders.
If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
NOTE : Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
About the Position: The U.S. Military Academy, West
Point, NY is an academic institution located in the Hudson River
Valley, 50 miles from New York City. The historic site is the
oldest continuously occupied military post in America. West Point
is a self-contained city with housing, a Department of Public
Works, libraries, hospital, fire department, chapels, and
restaurants. Employees have access to Eisenhower Hall Theater,
Hudson Valley's performing arts center, and recreational
You will provide applied sport and performance psychology services to cadets. Conduct assessment and evaluation of cadets through interviewing and inventories, and based on that determination, uses a variety of techniques designed to enhance performance. Provide training to groups ranging in size from 5 to 150. Training is designed to familiarize the groups with the techniques of performance enhancement and to motivate them to utilize the programs available. Teach two sections of RS101 - Student Success Course and performance enhancement courses.Teach classes, records attendance, plans lessons, develops curriculum, and attends faculty development meetings. Implement Performance Enhancement Program assessment tasks (completion of individual case studies, collection of individual and team performance data, statistical analysis). Attend and participate in professional meetings and departmental seminars to share and broaden knowledge and experience in teaching and training methods and techniques.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.