Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America. We own an interest in or operate approximately 84,000miles of pipelines and 157 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our terminals store and handle petroleum products, chemicals and other products. Kinder Morgan has a terrific opportunity for the person who is ready to take their career to the next level. We offer a challenging, but rewarding environment with competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The Welder (PPS) reporting location is Kinder Morgan’s Coudersport CS 313 but due to the extensive travel, candidates near other Kinder Morgan locations in Pennsylvania or New York State may be considered.
Perform and inspect pipeline and structural welding required for construction and maintenance of Company facilities including the installation, operation and maintenance of all natural gas and products pipeline related facilities.
Job title will be commensurate with experience and skill set.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform pipe fabrication welds, in-service welds, tie-in welds and hot taps on steel pipelines that range in various sizes up to 42 O.D. on natural gas and products pipelines
- Have knowledge of or possess experience in all phases of mobilizing, operating and maintaining heavy excavation equipment to include excavation frequently on in-service natural gas pipelines.
- Read and interpret engineering construction blueprints for projects.
- Scope, plan, estimate, track costs and schedule work and resources for projects.
- Operate trucks, welding rigs and trailers for hauling equipment or project materials to job site.
- Assist Pipeline Specialists in field checks prior to excavation.
- Locate and mark pipelines with pipeline locating equipment or probe rods using drawing and alignment sheets for reference.
- Inspect coating, remove coating and complete surface preparation for the application of coating for buried pipe service.
- Calibrate and maintain a holiday detector for coating application inspection.
- Perform ultrasonic thickness examinations.
- Perform pipeline hot tap installations on in-service pipelines.
- Review pressure test plans per pipe and material specifications.
- Perform pressure tests of pipelines and fabrications.
- Disassemble meter tubes and perform internal meter tube cleaning.
- Repair pig launcher and receivers, closures and install pig signals.
- Repair shorted pipeline casings and install CP test points on pipelines.
- Evacuate, purge and load pipelines; operate pipeline air-movers to evacuate gas lines during hot work operations.
- Install full encirclement sleeves for anomaly repairs.
- Install mainline valve settings, valves and fittings.
- Repair shorted pipeline casings and install CP test points on pipelines.
- Modify existing and install new measurement facilities.
- Promote and embody Kinder Morgan core values.
- Consistently maintain and demonstrate a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets, employees, and the general public.
- Identify, report and correct safety and environmental concerns.
- May assist with:
- Excavation spotter tasks and manage excavation of foreign pipeline crossings.
- Performing excavations on loaded and unloaded pipelines.
- Launching, monitoring and receiving pipeline pigs.
- Conducting internal pipeline cleaning or pigging operations utilizing internal pipe cleaning equipment.
- Removal of existing pipelines and installation of replacement pipelines.
- Providing direction to sub-contract workers that perform work on company assets and facilities.
- The above statements describe the general nature of work being performed, the position may perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required.
- Associates Degree in job related technical training or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience as a pipeline welder
- Knowledge of basic properties of metals
- A valid CDL commercial driver’s license is not necessary but would be a plus. Must have and keep a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain DOT operational qualifications for working and welding on natural gas and products pipelines.
- Qualified welder in conformance with API Standard 1104 – Welding of Pipelines and Related Facilities – 20th Edition 2007
Competencies, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals)
- Job planning and organization
- Must have ability to read and interpret engineering construction blueprints for both pipeline and compressor station projects.
- Individual must follow all safety, environmental and regulatory policies so tasks and assignments are completed in a safe and environmentally responsible manner, ensuring proper handling and disposition of hazardous waste.
- Good communication skills – must be able to interface effectively with many internal and external customers, regulatory officials, company contacts, co-workers and 3rd party contractors.
- Knowledge of both OSHA safety regulations and DOT pipeline regulations.
- Focused on internal and external customer service.
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details and follow work rules.
- Mentor fellow employees when the opportunity presents itself.
- Ability to speak and understand English.
- Ability to work with others, take direction from supervisor(s), focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Promote and embody Kinder Morgan Core Values.
- This individual will be responsible for administrative tasks including ordering and receiving required replacement parts, completing personal timesheets and expense accounts, completing and maintaining CMV documentation and maintaining a company vehicle.
- Basic computer skills (knowledge of MS Office, operating systems, company software if applicable), trainable to custom software applications.
- Will be required to carry a company-provided cell phone/pager, and be available to respond during working and non-working hours.
- Lift, pull, push, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Exert up to 100 lbs. of physical force.
- Stand, walk, kneel, bend, and squat for extended periods of time.
- Twist head and back for extended periods of time.
- Work in areas classified as confined space.
- Climb and work from ladders, catwalks, staging, and platforms.
- Ascend and descend slopes and ditches.
- Work with hands above head, lying on back.
- Work in adverse weather and/or extreme temperature conditions.
- ADA Job Requirements: Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee’s performance, mental, or emotional disability.
- Work schedule is Monday through Thursday, ten hours per day and will involve overtime.
- Work schedule during construction is Monday through Friday, ten to twelve hours per day. Working weekends will be required from time to time.
- This position requires extensive travel and overnight stays are frequent with work away from the reporting location required up to 75% of the time and the ability to respond to call-outs.
The successful candidate will be required to clear a DOT drug screen and a complete background check after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As a federal contractor, Kinder Morgan must adhere to federal guidelines that require many of its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accordingly, all new hire employees must be vaccinated before they begin work. This requirement is subject to accommodations for religious and medical reasons under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and possible state and local laws.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.